The manufacturing engineer plans, develops & implements manufacturing processes to improve safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and reduce costs. Develops, evaluates, and enhances manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
Primary responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class perform all the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.
- Hands-on support of production and maintenance in continuous improvement and troubleshooting projects
- Work directly with operations leaders and employees in process improvements
- Oversee capital equipment improvement projects from proposal through implementation
- Design tooling and fixtures to improve manufacturing efficiency
- Identify and support design for manufacturing opportunities for both new and current products
- Design layouts for machine cells and future state manufacturing departments
- Manage contractors brought in to assist with machine/facility install or repair
- Other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work occasionally requires visits to the production floor, with varying temperatures and high levels of noise; safety equipment such as glasses and protective shoes may be required.
- Work is sometimes accomplished indoors and in air conditioned or well-ventilated facilities.
- Work is sometimes executed in an office or in a cubicle space equipped with a telephone and computer.
Competencies, Skills and Knowledge:
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite.
- SolidWorks and Autocad or DraftSight
- Knowledge of international industry standards such as API 11B and API 11AX.
- Experience or coursework in metallurgy desirable.
Education, Licensing and Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with capital or equipment project management
- Experience with drafting software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Solid knowledge of and ability to use personal computers and related software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledgeable of ISO Quality Management System and Lean Manufacturing principles
- Must have exceptional organizational, oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be able to effectively communicate with personnel of all levels in the organization
- 2+ years of manufacturing or industrial engineering experience
- Experience with machining, centerless grinding, welding, honing, and other metal working processes.
- Hands-on troubleshooting experience in a manufacturing environment
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Experience supporting facilities engineering projects
- Demonstrated problem solving experience using PDCA, DMAIC, 8D, or A3 methodologies
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects while meeting deadlines
Job Type: Full-time
- Drafting Software: 1 year (Required)
- Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering: 2 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement