Pratt Miller (PM) is a product development company in motorsports, defense, and mobility industries providing clients with product engineering and low-volume production solutions. Our range of research & development, engineering, prototype manufacturing, test & validation, and low-rate production capability help our customers bring their high-quality products to market faster.
Senior level Test & Development Engineer III to work individually or with a small team of chief engineers, design engineers, test engineers, and test technicians to lead as well as support engineering related projects. This position requires applying engineering expertise to solve real world engineering design, testing, analysis, and development problems on a wide variety of products in the automotive, defense, motorsports, aerospace, marine, and smaller niche industries. These efforts can be applied to short or long-term projects including virtual prototype development, component, system, and full vehicle testing, laboratory testing, engineering analysis, control systems, electronics, and product/system validation. This position also requires developing the technical skills of less senior test engineers and technicians as well as support department technical growth, process development, and planning activities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & SKILLS:
Typical responsibilities include but are not limited to all of the following:
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION/YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to plan, execute, and deliver upon large laboratory and in-field testing projects alongside Team Lead engineer(s) while utilizing less senior test engineers and technicians to exceed project deliverables
- Experience overseeing the successful delivery of small and medium sized projects led by less senior test engineers
- Ability to use CAD (NX, Creo, Catia, and/or SolidWorks) and PLM tools (Windchill, Teamcenter, etc.) when needed to achieve project deliverables
- Strong background in Windows based computers and Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- 8+ years real world experience in data acquisition systems (DEWESoft, Pi, MoTeC, Vector, Somat, NI, etc.), hardware selection and integration techniques and methods.
- 8+ years real world substantial experience with instrumentation (acceleration, pressure, temperature, strain, force, displacement, flow sensors, etc.), CAN networks, hardware selection, integration methods/best practices, and instrumentation construction and theory
- 8+ years’ experience in data analysis software (DEWESoft, MATLAB, DIAdem, MS Excel, NCode, database software, Python coding, etc.)
- 8+ years real world experience in data acquisition and analysis processes to individually develop comprehensive test results and well written technical test reports and presentations
- 3+ years real world experience with control system hardware and software (Motohawk, MATLAB Simulink, Delta hydraulic controls, NI LabVIEW, etc.)
- 3+ years’ experience with electrical or hydraulic design software (MS Visio, VeSys, etc.) and technical understanding of these systems
- Strong engineering fundamentals in all general automotive systems with hands-on, real world vehicle experience, as well as act as a resource of these fundamental to others
- Comfort developing new internal test procedures and organizational technical structure
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers developing strong professional relationships ensuring repeat business opportunities
- Ability to communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Able to perform in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Ability to interface comfortably within a matrix organization
- Must have proven organizational skillset and comfort managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Work safely to comply with all business expectations
- Customer focused, service-oriented mindset
DESIRED SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- BS of MS in Materials Science, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace or Automotive Engineering (or equivalent)
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to manage his/her own workload as well as the workload of less senior engineers and technicians to achieve important deadlines with minimal oversight
- Mechanical skills including the ability to use all common hand tools
- 5+ years’ experience leading and executing laboratory and field-testing projects
- Strong understanding of vehicle dynamics, vehicle tuning, and test-driving maneuver experience
- Experience with hydraulic test equipment such as shock dynos and high speed servo hydraulics and/or military survivability systems
- Desire to develop the technical skills of less experienced engineers and technicians acting as a technical resource
- Skilled trades experience including fabrication, machining, MIG/TIG welding, and assembly
- Experience with team collaboration platforms (MS Teams, SharePoint, etc.)
- Preferred prior experience in an ISO 9001 quality environment
- Vehicle logistics competency (trucks, trailers, towing, vehicle recovery) WORK ENVIRONMENT: (i.e., office, shop, PG/in-field/track, etc.)
- Office work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unpleasant elements
- Shop or laboratory work involves some exposure to moderate risk of accident and requires following basic safety precautions
- In-field, proving grounds (PG), or track testing involves frequent exposure to unpleasant elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, chemicals, etc.
- Stress may occur periodically
- Monthly travel may be required and will vary depending on each project’s requirements
Position requires occasional or frequent moderate physical activity
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- Typical work week is 40-45 hours/week
- Working hours for salary employees are flexible with a typical day starting at 7am, M-F
- Must be flexible with schedule to accommodate fixed customer deadlines sometimes working longer hours as well as Saturday and or Sunday during peak project deliverable durations or offsite testing trips
In addition to the responsibilities mentioned above, the ideal candidate must possess but not limited to all the following:
- Be a team player
- Have great attention to detail
- Be reliable (with reliable mode of transportation)
- Have excellent mechanical ability and likes to work with their hands
- Strong work ethic and pride in their workmanship
This position will require lawful access to ITAR/EAR controlled information and employees in this role will need to meet those requirements.
Requirements include US Citizenship, US Permanent Resident or ability to meet licensure requirements.
This position will require the ability to obtain PG facility licenses, state logistics licenses (CDL/chauffeur license), military vehicle operator’s license, etc. Requirement would include a personal driver’s license record to meet licensure requirements.
Pratt Miller is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.