Summary of Role
We’re looking for a QA Engineer to be a key member of a small, skilled, results-oriented product engineering team. We’re building the next generation of our products, and we want someone with as much passion for the work as we have. If you absolutely love working with mobile and web apps, and have a solid foundation of software QA skills, and an interest in (or experience with) QA automation, you may be the person we’re looking for.
You'll be working as part of a Scrum team, testing web and native mobile apps, as well as the RESTful web services they interact with. Our stack is NodeJS and Python on the server, ReactJS in the browser, and native code on mobile. Our servers are deployed on AWS. This is a hands-on role, writing test plans, conducting manual testing, and developing automated tests in an agile environment.
- Work with the scrum team to identify testing needs and opportunities.
- Work with the QA team in developing a QA testing strategy for the project, determining the appropriate balance of manual and automated tests, as well as the types of tests (UI, web service API, functional/performance/load, and so on).
- Create manual test plans, test cases, and test scripts.
- Develop automated test frameworks and test cases for the different types of tests employed
- Execute and report on the full testing suite of both manual and automated tests.
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Generate new ideas, never say or think "that's not my job."
- Be proactive in keeping your skills fresh.
Qualifications and Experience
- 2+ years of manual testing (it can’t all be automated!).
- Experience developing automated QA tests is preferred, but a burning desire to get into automation, coupled with programming experience and a strong work ethic, will suffice.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Katalon, Selenium, or similar tools
- Postman, Jmeter, or other web service API testing tools
- iOS and/or Android UI testing
- Able to create clear, concise, detail-oriented test plans from specifications or verbal communications.
- Experience testing for validation (“we built the right thing”) and verification (“we built it right”).
- Working knowledge of Windows and macOS, all major web browsers, and iOS and Android mobile devices. Linux knowledge is a plus.
- Demonstrated pattern of going beyond your test plan when you see something that looks odd, to then understand why it behaved that way, and to see if a problem exists.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and planning skills.
- Experience with Agile software development (particularly Scrum) and JIRA.
- Knowledge of best practices for agile testing on a Scrum team.
- High attention to detail with proven ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities of various sizes and complexities. A track record of making things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that requires you to use your initiative, imagination, and common sense to be successful.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate and work successfully with teams across the organization. Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- An appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in solutions.
- Experience using a test case management system
- Experience using source control systems such as Github
- Be accurate and deliver quality. Have a “roll up your sleeves and dive in” attitude.
- Excellent, collaborative team player with communication skills to match.
- Adaptable and flexible in meeting demands. You are relentless and passionate to get the job done.
- Proactive – you take responsibility and own the solution within a collaborative team environment.
- Work well under pressure and thrive in a demanding environment. Excellence is an expectation.
- Demonstrated proactivity in capitalizing on opportunities and resolving issues.
- Intellectually curious – prepared to challenge and be challenged.
- Constantly strive to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
Education and Training
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent, or a Bachelor’s in an unrelated field with at least 5 years of QA experience. A relevant Master's degree is a plus.
- Certified Scrum Master is a plus.
The National Research Center for College and University Admissions is an educational data science and research organization serving over 1,800 member institutions comprised of public and private four-year colleges and universities across the nation. For 45 years, NRCCUA has been a leading provider of data, technology, and programs serving students, high school educators, four-year colleges and universities from its offices in Lee’s Summit, MO, Boston, MA, New York, NY, and Austin, TX. These solutions represent the link between students making important life decisions and those providing the resources and information they need to succeed in their post-secondary educations and careers. With the launch of its Encoura™ Data Lab, the company now combines data science, advanced analytics, research, predictive modeling and omnichannel enrollment services in one platform to enable institutions to make real-time strategic and operational decisions to meet their unique enrollment goals and create the highest probability of student success.
NRCCUA is now part of ACT. ACT is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people achieve education and workplace success. Headquartered in Iowa City, Iowa, ACT is trusted as the nation’s leader in college and career readiness, providing high-quality achievement assessments grounded in more than 50 years of research and experience. ACT offers a uniquely integrated set of solutions that help people succeed from elementary school through career, providing insights that unlock potential.
NRCCUA is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
NRCCUA endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability and need an alternative method for applying, please contact Human Resources with your specific accommodation request.
Job Type: Full-time
- Quality Assurance: 2 years (Preferred)