Serves as the Pueblo of Sandia's Civil Engineer on various proposed and/or approved water and wastewater infrastructure development within the boundaries of the Pueblo of Sandia. Oversees and protects the Pueblo’s interests in planning, design, construction, operations, maintenance, upgrading, and rehabilitation of water and wastewater infrastructure. Oversees engineering and construction of approved projects.
Supervised by the Public Works Director. Supervises technical staff and consultants, if any, assigned to the office.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Works with other Pueblo of Sandia entities and enterprises to determine water and wastewater infrastructure needs and provides solutions.
2. Provides engineering design and construction oversight for distribution/ wastewater collection systems, pump/lift stations, water supplies, water/wastewater treatment plant facilities, and storm water systems.
3. Builds, manages, and updates hydraulic water and wastewater models for the Pueblo to assist in operations, maintenance and future system upgrades.
4. Serves as the Public Works Department representative in interactions with Engineering firm(s), Construction Management firm(s), and General Contractors.
5. Serves as liaison between the Building Safety Department and all Pueblo of Sandia entities and enterprises regarding water, wastewater and other engineering projects as needed.
6. In coordination with Procurement, prepares construction packages (including all deliverables) for the engineering, procurement, and construction of water/wastewater systems.
7. Works directly with the project Architectural/Engineering firm(s), the Construction Management firm(s), General Contractors, and the Development Team as engineering project manager.
8. In coordination with the Public Works Department, provides maintenance, upgrading, rehabilitation, and asset management-related services as needed.
9. Oversees, develops, and reports to the Director on the detailed task descriptions of Pueblo staff and/or consultants.
10. Provides forecasts on technical, manpower, cost and schedule requirements needed for each project.
11. Reviews, analyzes and reports to the Director on, project performance, plans, designs, drawings, costs, schedules, change orders, and construction related activities as required.
12. Coordinates provision of infrastructure and transportation access to the sites.
13. Coordinates weekly development meetings/presentations on the status of construction, budgets, and other topics, and assists in preparation and delivery of Tribal Council presentations as needed.
14. Reviews all related quality assurance, quality control, and safety issues with Pueblo staff, consultants and/or contractors, for engineering projects.
15. Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of general project office, accounting, engineering and design, construction methods, and post-construction activities.
2. Knowledge or familiarity with Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction; construction terminology, practices and processes, including design/build; Indian preference policies in hiring and contracting; Tribal laws and regulations.
3. Ability to plan, develop and review project budgets and project cost estimates.
4. Ability to compose technical reports, memorandums, and other written communication.
5. Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects.
6. Design and construction experience for distribution/ wastewater collection systems, pump/lift stations, water supplies, water/wastewater treatment plant facilities, and storm water systems.
7. Perform comprehensive engineering calculations and analysis and use design software to solve complex challenges.
8. Ability to communicate, understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
9. Ability to deal effectively with diverse Tribal Leadership, Tribal Council, contractors, consultants, staff, and the general public.
10. Ability to work efficiently and accurately in an atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
11. Ability to exercise tact, courtesy and initiative in handling routine and unusual problems.
12. Familiar with a variety of the construction field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
13. Ability to rely upon extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals and to perform a variety of tasks.
14. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
15. Requires strong capabilities in Civil 3D plus Hydraulic Modeling software such as WaterCAD, and SewerCAD.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma, GED certification or equivalent.
2. Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering field from an accredited college or university
3. The following license is required prior to employment start date:
· Professional Engineering License.
4. Seven (7) years of experience in the field.
5. Four (4) years project manager experience, including large scale construction projects.
6. Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New Mexico Driver’s License.
1. Must successfully pass a stringent background investigation.
2. Will require a post-offer, pre-employment and random drug screening.
1. Work is performed indoors and outdoors, with a significant amount of time spent outdoors on project sites.
2. Work hours subject to change with overtime work often required.
3. Must be a self-starter and must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions.
4. Subject to hazards which may cause personal bodily harm; smoke, common colds, influenza, dust odors and elevated noise levels.
5. Tasks may be performed on earthen, uneven, inclined, hard and soft carpeted floors, cement structures and other surfaces.
6. Duties may involve walking, standing for long periods of time, sitting and crouching.
7. Specific required movements include the following:
· Trunk-bend, twist, rotate, push, pull, and carry.
· Arms-reach, push, pull, carry, lift, twist, rotate.
· Legs-lift, push, pull, twist, rotate.
· Hands-grasp, manipulate, bilateral coordination, eye and hand coordination, overall and finger dexterity.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $72,874.00 to $97,652.00 /year