Horizontal construction engineers use bulldozers, cranes, graders and other heavy equipment to move tons of earth and material to complete construction projects for the Army.
They are also responsible for operating tractors with dozer attachments, scoop loaders, backhoe loaders, hydraulic excavators, motorized graders, and scrapers.
- Analyze the information on grade stakes and placing them.
- Drive bulldozers, road graders and other heavy equipment to level earth.
- Clear, grub, strip, excavate, backfill, stockpile and push scraper with tractor crawler.
- Cut and spread fill material with a scraper.
- Transport heavy construction equipment with a tractor-trailer.
- Assist in performance of combat engineer missions.
Job training for horizontal construction engineer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
- Interest in operating heavy construction equipment.
- Preference for working outdoors.
- Interest in working with your hands.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with building contractors, state highway agencies, rock quarries, well drillers and construction firms.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company.
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation.
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Signing bonus
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement