Stratas Foods LLC is the leading supplier of fats and oils to the Foodservice, Food Ingredients and Retail Private Label markets in North America and is a producer of quality bulk and packaged dressings, mayonnaise and sauces. Stratas Foods was formed in October 2008 as a 50/50 joint venture between ACH Food Companies (ACH) and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM).
Manufacturing facilities are located in Dallas and Houston, TX; Decatur and Quincy, IL; Englewood, NJ; Fresno, CA; Nashville, TN; and Valdosta, GA. Corporate offices are located in Memphis, TN. We are committed to maintaining a progressive workplace by utilizing the ideas, skills and talents of all of our employees. We strive to make Stratas Foods a great place to work and are building a team capable of meeting our business goals.
This Engineering Superintendent position manages the operations associated with the Engineering Department within the manufacturing facility. This position is responsible for efficient, safe and the profitable operation of the department; coordinating plans with contractors, maintenance, and appropriate operations departments. This position also has responsibility for the implementation of safety and quality systems for the entire department and capital expenditure management.
Engineering Superintendent Responsibilities:
1. Effective use of all resources assigned to support Operations and Operations projects.
2. Ensure safety and quality standards are kept to the highest level
3. Create measures where needed to verify efficiencies with the development and implementation of action plans for continuous improvement
4. Establish attainable productivity and performance goals for the department
5. Train, coach, and develop engineers.
6. Develop & maintain operating procedures
7. Troubleshoot operational problems
8. Be available for consultation on packaging equipment problems 24 hours/day
9. Review the process flow and recommend process flow improvements
10. Control department spending for overtime & supplies
11. Evaluate subordinates in a written evaluation at least annually
12. Foster an atmosphere of teamwork, and use employee involvement groups when appropriate
13. Communicate & help plan maintenance issues
14. Coordinate equipment preventative maintenance schedules with the Maintenance Superintendent.
15. Ensure food safety rules are being followed
16. Guarantee safe work behaviors are being followed
17. Ensure housekeeping standards are being met
18. Project management, purchasing, and supervision of contractors for all projects to assure completion on a timely basis within budget. PLC programming and packaging equipment troubleshooting required.
19. Adhere to and enforce Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and HACCP requirements.
20. Lead and assist management with appropriate training to assure regulatory compliance.
21. Report to Plant Manager.
22. Maintain appropriate communication/relationships with all employees, vendors, visitors.
23. Follow, monitor, and ensure compliance with all safety, food safety, environmental, GMP rules, regulations, and policies.
24. Attend daily production/quality meetings.
25. Provide technical support for plant packaging equipment and improvements with emphasis on PLC programming.
26. Observe facility operations on a regular basis.
27. Communicate with Superintendents on a daily basis.
28. Capital Expenditure Project Management and Updates
29. Oversee facility operations.
Education: High School diploma is required and Bachelor’s Degree is required in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering with relevant experience.
Related Experience: Minimum 5 years manufacturing experience preferably in food packaging, process, and /or food safety and security. Previous supervisory experience/leadership experience preferred.
Equipment/Software Skills: Must be PC literate with working knowledge of MS Office, and Outlook. Prefer experience with various quality or production systems
1. Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions
2. Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills
3. Analytical Skills – Collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data, work flows and procedures
4. Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information
5. Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback
6. Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; demonstrates appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions
7. Initiative – Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; looks for opportunities
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly talk or hear and frequently sit and use hands and fingers. The employee should also expect to stand, walk, reach with arms, climb, crawl and taste or smell.
The employee may lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds
Good Listening Skills; Public speaking abilities to communicate with both hourly and salaried personnel.
Organizational; Decision making ability; Multi-tasking; Must have strong analytical and problem solving abilities to accommodate a quick paced environment. Must be able to perform root cause analysis and corrective action. Must be able to continuously learn and adapt to changes in the overall business relative to oils and oil processing.