The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the documentation and specification of equipment for mechanical solutions for both new and existing electric motors/coil/actuator assemblies in a cross-functional engineering team environment. This position has direct contact with the customers to understand their specification/needs and determine the best solution. The ideal candidate will approach the solutions from a systems standpoint and be capable of leading the project through the design/development process. The candidate would take direction from the program manager or engineering director but needs to be capable of managing the day to day work on his/her own.
- Highly skilled at converting customer requirements into electro-mechanical solutions.
- Self-starter, capable of maintaining project organization throughout the tollgate process.
- 3D modeling with a working knowledge of stress, strain FEA and thermal analysis packages that are available in SolidWorks is beneficial.
- Understands the applications and implications of GD&T and its effects on the manufacturability and inspection of the parts.
- Able to generate tolerance stack-up studies for mechanical components and assemblies.
- Work with product development project teams as the engineering design lead.
- Participate in cost-reduction activities, component evaluations, and other manufacturing initiatives to support continuous improvement.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial directives through fabrication, assembly, QC, and initial production.
- Occasional regional and international travel is required (up to 20%)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience is required.
- At least 2 years of experience in design and development with a strong emphasis in the manufacturing process including but not limited to work instructions.
- Experience in Aerospace or Military Industry is a plus.
- Minimum of five years of experience doing detailed CAD design. Solidworks strongly preferred as it is the current drawing package
- Understanding quality requirements and how inspection will inspect a component based on detailed drawing specifications/tolerances.
- Strong materials background preferred.
- Hands on electric motor, gearing, solenoid, and electro mechanical design experience is a plus.
MTI (www.slmti.com) is a wholly-owned operating company within the Steel Partners. MTI is a manufacturer and developer of precision, high performance electric motors, drives, and controllers in addition to precision winding components. MTI serves the aerospace, military, commercial, and industrial markets with extensive custom motion control components design and manufacturing capability. Current products include a broad range of brushless and brush DC motors, induction motors, limited angle torque motors, sensored and sensorless drives, engineered motion control and automation products, precision windings, and precision gears and gearboxes.
MTI is committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty, and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to provide our employees with opportunities to achieve career advancement including those listed below:
- MTI has a job posting program which promotes job enrichment and advancement within the company.
- MTI offers tuition reimbursement to employees for career development and job enrichment
- MTI training courses cover a variety of subjects related to safety, quality, soldering, ESD, continuous improvement, teamwork, and customer focus.
Job Type: Full-time
- product design and development with manufacturing process: 5 years (Required)
- Aerospace or Military Industry: 1 year (Required)
- detailed CAD design: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement