Title: Tax Manager
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Tax Director, Tax Partners
Supervises: Supervising Seniors, Seniors and Staff Tax Accountants
Summary of Responsibilities:
A Tax Manager is the liaison between the partner, Tax Director, the client, and the professional tax staff. Managers are responsible for managing multiple tax projects simultaneously, and scheduling, staffing, and coordinating workflow. Tax Managers develop and train staff and make associations to develop new business for the firm. The incumbent is also responsible for ensuring the firm complies with tax law on all tax returns prepared and maintaining awareness of any new tax legislation. The tax manager is also responsible for reviewing and occasionally preparing more complex tax returns. He/she ensures that any tax paid by clients is the legal minimum by applying appropriate tax planning strategies.
Estimated Years of Experience:
· Responsible for managing all tax-related facets of client projects/engagements regardless of complexity in an efficient, timely and professional matter.
· Plans, schedules and staffs engagements using firm policies and procedures, delegates responsibilities to tax staff when possible in order to maximize workflow.
· Maintains contact with clients throughout the year; possesses a thorough knowledge of the client and all facets or client’s business and industries they serve.
· Supervises staff and provides on-the-job training, reviews tax returns and workpapers prepared by staff. Reviews any changes required or recommendations for improvement with the staff.
· Motivates tax staff by providing accurate, specific and timely feedback and evaluating their strengths, weakness and progress continually so that staff can make modifications when necessary and continue to grow in their professional development, and acting as a mentor to less experienced staff.
· Develops and manages budgets for tax preparation projects and reviews causes of any significant deviations from predetermined budgets.
· Prepares engagement letter for approval by partner.
· Works to develop responsible, trained staff by preparing performance evaluations.
· Maintains high professional and ethical standards.
· Ensures that clients, partners and tax director are kept informed of the status of work in progress as well as all important client developments.
· Communicates progress of engagements, issues and resolutions to client.
· Prepares invoices to clients and communicates details of fees to clients.
· Assists in departmental or firm administration functions as assigned by the Tax Director/Tax Partners.
· Able to acquire, develop and retain clients. Nurtures and develops relationships with prospective clients for services performed by the firm.
· Manage all client engagements, regardless of complexity, in an efficient, timely and professional way.
· Communicates with tax director/partner on a timely basis when issues arise requiring additional expertise, experience or guidance.
· Performs complex tax research assignments as requested by Tax Director/Partners or as determined in order to meet client needs. Assists tax staff in developing effective tax research skills.
· Prepares written tax analyses/tax position papers for clients and for dissemination within the department for training purposes.
· Communicates with various taxing authorities regarding tax notices, billings, etc. Drafting written responses to notices from taxing authorities as well as reviewing written responses drafted by tax staff prior to sending to taxing authorities.
· Ensures that tax returns prepared by staff are prepared in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code and applicable state laws and regulations.
Managers assume responsibility for all tax projects/engagements and many administrative matters including:
· Able to perform all professional and administrative functions of subordinates.
· Prepares staff-level performance reviews.
· Exhibits strong written and verbal communication skills by disseminating information to staff at all levels of the firm, as well as partners and clients.
· Preparing engagement budgets.
· Demonstrates the capacity to earn client’s respect and trust, providing opportunities to sell existing clients new services and attract new business to the firm.
· Prepares Client Billing (when applicable).
· Works with minimal supervision and identifies issues to discuss with partners/tax director prior to making decisions.
· Develops responsible, trained staff by assisting in recruiting, developing training aids and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
· Participates in the firm’s business development efforts.
· Preparing other projects or duties as assigned by the Tax Director or Tax Partners.
· Serves as content developer as well as an instructor/presenter in department or firm-wide educational programs.
· Such other duties may be assigned.
Tax Managers are expected to develop professionally by:
· Promoting the firm in order to increase profits by participating in civic, business, and professional organizations. Strives to develop and maintain a network of business contacts (e.g. private equity firms, lawyers, bankers and realtors).
· Recruiting qualified staff members and taking on administrative duties.
· Learning and implementing new technology introduced into the work environment.
· Participating in career development programs to improve managerial, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
· Bachelor's degree in accounting or Master's degree in accounting. A Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in another business discipline may qualify if it includes enough accounting credits to qualify for the CPA exam, JD, MST, or EA.
· An active certified public accountant’s license or other LPC approved certification is required.
· Demonstrated ability to bring in new business to a CPA firm.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, verbal and written.
· Continuing professional education as established by the AICPA and applicable state society, averaging 40 hours annually.
· Must be a member in good standing with the AICPA and applicable state society.
· Proficient in use of computers and be familiar with tax software (preferably CCH) and tax research software.
· Occasional same day travel for meetings at client offices and seminars, using a personal vehicle.
· Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Overtime and Saturday work may be required from early February through mid-April and during September-October in order to meet tax deadlines. Additional overtime may be required at other times throughout the year in order to meet client needs.
· Minimal Safety Hazards. General office working conditions.
The job description does not list all duties of the position. The Tax Manager may be asked by partners/tax director to perform other duties. The incumbent will be evaluated based on his/her performance of the tasks as listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment and the firm, or the Tax Manager may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Tax Experience: 5 years (Required)
- CPA (Preferred)
- Enrolled Agent (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19