This is an opportunity to put your Mechanical skills and Mechanical aptitude to use while working on Lake Michigan as part of the Beaver Island Boat Company. We are looking for someone with past mechanical experience in a Marine setting, but willing to train the right individual. This opportunity does require you to relocate to Beautiful Beaver Island, MI. Maybe able to Live in Charlevoix with frequent Island Layovers. Please send a Resume if you are interested and I am happy to discuss options.
SUMMARY: Join us as one of our crew members serving on board the ferry Vessels. Perform maintenance and repair of the vessels, buildings, and all other company machinery and equipment as directed. Assist in ensuring vessels are fully operational and up to date on all maintenance. Complete required reports and log information as necessary. Manage parts inventory, use, and cost as directed. Participate in U.S. Coast Guard annual inspections and 5 year hull inspections.
Location: Must live on or be willing to relocate to Beaver Island, MI
Duration: Full Time April-December (does qualify for unemployment during off season)
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Senior Captain and Maintenance Engineer
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Some knowledge of the relevant maritime laws, U.S. Coast Guard rules and regulations governing the operation of a passenger vessel.
· The ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment when required to make quick decisions.
· Comfortable and personable in dealing with people. Able to maintain positive relations and work effectively with the company’s committees, board members, president and employees, government officials, government agencies, vendors and the general public.
· Red Cross certification in First Aid and CPR.
· Qualification as a fork lift operator capable of maneuvering in very restricted spaces.
· Hold a valid Michigan driver’s license and demonstrate the ability to easily operate a wide range of vehicles from farm tractors to dump trucks. Must be capable of operating vehicles with standard transmissions.
· Strong and agile enough to lift up to 75 pounds of freight or exit a vehicle through the window.
· Must not be affected by motion sickness and must be stable and athletic enough to maintain balance and work comfortable in rough weather.
· Must have extremely good vision and hearing to act as a lookout when vessel is underway.
· Demonstrate thorough knowledge of the vessel and all of its related mechanical and safety equipment. Obtain certification from “Senior Captain”.
· Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
· Maintenance of the vessels, buildings, docks, vehicles, lift trucks, and all company machinery and equipment as directed.
· Perform emergency repairs as required.
· Follow company machinery operating procedures, maintenance schedules and budget. Perform preventative maintenance according to manufacturer specifications with minimum disruption of customer service as directed by Maintenance Engineer or Senior Captain. Record or log maintenance as required utilizing company’s maintenance system.
· Report promptly any mechanical problems to Senior Captain and/or Maintenance Engineer. Also, ensure that Senior Captain is kept informed of any changes involving vessel operations.
· Maintain positive relations and work effectively through good communication with Dock Managers and all other Beaver Island Boat Company staff.
· Maintain appropriate equipment logs and records as required/directed.
· Ensure that commonly accepted engine operating, maintenance, and safety procedures are followed.
· Maintain the inventory of tools, parts, and supplies for engineering spaces and equipment as directed.
· Maintain storage/repair areas and engine rooms in an organized and clean manner.
· Perform vessel waste disposal and vessel fueling as required.
· Perform other tasks as assigned.
· Follow the Company’s Mission Statement and the Employee Handbook.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements that follow are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
TRAINING/EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
a) Minimum 2 years mechanical problem-solving experience with a background in diesel mechanics, hydraulics, electrical systems, vessel/equipment/building maintenance and record keeping procedures preferred.
b) Completed High School Diploma or GED
c) Familiarity with the relevant maritime laws, U.S. Coast Guard rules and regulations governing the operation of a passenger vessel. Subchapter K and T of CFR Title 46, passenger vessel less than 100 GT.
d) The ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment when required to make quick decisions such as in the case of responding to emergency calls which may occur at any time.
e) Comfortable and personable in dealing with people. Able to maintain positive relations and work effectively with company employees, contractors, U.S. Coast Guard, and the general public.
f) Ability to complete pre-employment assessments including a physical, occupational assessment, lift and/or carry 75 pounds, color vision test, hearing test and drug screen.
g) Red Cross certification in First Aid and CPR.
h) Qualification as a fork lift operator capable of maneuvering safely in very restricted spaces.
i) Hold a valid State of Michigan driver’s license and demonstrate the ability to easily operate a wide range of vehicles from farm tractors to dump trucks. Must be capable of operating vehicles with standard transmissions. Motor vehicle record must be acceptable.
j) Must be able to acquire a TWIC card.
k) Must not be affected by motion sickness and must be stable and athletic enough to maintain balance and work comfortable in rough weather.
l) Must have good vision and hearing to act as a lookout when vessel is underway.
m) Experience in welding and fabrication preferred.
n) Detail oriented with strong organization skills.
“To provide passengers and freight shippers with transportation that is safe, convenient, comfortable, and reasonable priced, and courteously rendered;
To provide employees with a safe and comfortable work environment, fair wages, advancement opportunity, and competitive job benefits;
To provide reasonable return-on-investment to the Company’s Shareholders, consistent with other obligations spelled out in this statement.”
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 - $22.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- 12 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saint James, MI: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Work Location: One location