This position is for a project engineer with 5-10 years experience in the chemical process industry, preferably food and beverage, to assist in project engineering and contractor management activities. Capex projects at Lesaffre are typically industrial in nature and involve: civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and automation disciplines. The successful candidate will have some familiarity with each of these disciplines.
Project Engineer II is expected work professionally and safely with clients internal and external to the company and with vendors and contracted resources in the employ of the company.
Project Engineer II is responsible for generating and developing documents related to the initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & controlling, and closing of projects.
Project Engineer II participates across multiple projects within various portfolios and is expected to take leadership of projects, specific assignments within projects, and portfolios of projects with similar technological or administrative challenges.
Project Engineer II has some familiarity with Lean and participates in projects aiming to reduce waste.
Project Engineer II assist the engineering office document and communicate to project stakeholders the status of project related activities.
This position reports directly to the Engineering and Project Manager. Work direction and/or assignments will be received primarily from that position. On occasion work direction may be given from other management personnel, to include the Director of Operations, as required by company needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned depending upon needs
- Work with clients as directed by the Engineering and Project Manager to:
o Develop project scope and statement of work documents.
o Develop process flow diagrams and P&ID’s.
o Participate in process improvement events
- Develop functional descriptions, material lists, and specifications for procurement planning.
- Develop layout drawings for buildings and equipment and secure client approvals prior to execution.
- Verify compliance of the project with all applicable GMP and sanitary design standards.
- Review material receiving to ensure conformance with engineering drawings, specifications, estimates, quotes, bid-packages, etc. for accuracy and initiate corrective actions.
- Review construction in progress to ensure conformance with all safety policies and engineering deliverables and initiate corrective actions.
- Manage the update and proper classifications of plant drawings.
- Work on lean intiatives to:
o Participate in or Lead process improvement events
o Develop workflow diagrams and descriptions
o Develop process improvement plans and manage their implementation
- Organize final documents and files during the closing of projects for hand-over to clients.
- Responsible for securing and documenting clients’ final acceptance of contractor project work.
- Communicate regularly with Plant Management and the Corporate Accounting Department.
- Meet with suppliers, vendors and contractors as required.
- Meet as required with project stakeholders: Maintenance, Production Departments, Managers, and Others.
- Special projects as directed by Director of Operations.
Normally five (5) days per week. Monday through Friday. Typical starting time is 8:00 am.
In certain circumstances (shutdown, start-up, etc) it may be required to work late hours or during the weekend.
This position currently has no internal supervisory responsibilities.
Supervisory responsibilities apply to project contractors and their associated employees.
Environmental, Safety, Quality, and Legal Requirements
Qualified candidates should already have or have the capacity to develop familiarity with:
- Safety: All applicable OSHA Rules and Regulations and internal safety policies
- Environmental: EPA Ammonia, Storm Water, SPCC, Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, Title V
- Quality: Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Legal: all pertinent Human Resources regulations
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven experience as a project/process engineer.
- Ability to work with multiple disciplines as required by projects.
- Knowledge of design and visualization software such as AutoCAD.
- Advanced MS Office skills, to include Visio.
- Time management and communication skills.
- Decision making ability and leadership skills.
- Industrial process aptitude and trouble-shooting skills.
- Additional safety and/or training experience helpful.
Education and/or Experience
BS degree in Engineering or relevant field.
5-10 years of process industry experience required, food and beverage is preferred.
Candidates with project experience required.
Experience participating or leading lean events is preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations
PMP certification is preferred.
Experience with Lean or SixSigma preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employees is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel, and reach. The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Facial Hair Policy
Employees working in this position will be required to follow GMP policy with respect facial hair when in GMP areas.