Responsible for the operational management and effective daily leadership and administration of the engineering team with the objectives of safely, efficiently, and effectively operating machinery and systems in a cost-effective manner. The Chief Engineer will implement and manage the reliability-based maintenance function, also executes equipment inspection and monitoring programs; defines and implements maintenance best practices to improve overall mechanical equipment uptime; and continuously evaluates current maintenance, operations and reliability methods and implements changes to enhance effectiveness at increasing value-maximizing performance.
· Monitors operation and maintains refrigeration and air conditioning equipment:
o Ventilating and hot water equipment
o Piping and filters
· Reviewing logs as necessary to assure proper operation of equipment.
· Responsible for reporting any problems/malfunctions on an as need basis.
· Oversees repair and P.M. of HVAC systems; determines frequency of repair and/or P.M. for HVAC systems.
· Insures the availability of an adequate inventory of tools and other supplies to operate the building.
· Specific duties include but are not limited to:
o preparing and submitting purchase orders requests
o developing sources for stock materials and performing periodic checks of inventory levels and equipment conditions.
o Responsible for overseeing the activities of contractors working within the building either as representatives of the building itself or tenants operating within the buildings.
· Identify safety hazards within the building and incorporate the remediation of such hazards
to ensure that the building’s staff and occupants work in a safe environment. Implement,
administer, and manage safety training program.
· Ensure that compliance of all regulatory laws and guidelines are met as they relate to the
operation of the building’s infrastructure.
· Responsible for alerting management of building discrepancies
· Maintain all infrastructure and compliance documentation for the building including up-to-
date building drawings and single-lines as well as documentation mandated for the purpose
of maintaining regulatory compliance with Federal, State or Local law.
· Supervise and manage building engineers and maintenance staff including hiring, training and personal development.
· Ensure that the FWF (Facility Work Flow) is a well-understood process among the building staff, engineers, tenants and contractors who perform work on the building’s critical infrastructure.
· Develop QA/QC processes.
· Facilitate MEP and infrastructure assessments.
· Provide a greater emphasis on the management of preventative vs. corrective maintenance.
· Support and continue implementation of recent staff schedule changes.
· Assist with design standards and be a resource for operational issues.
· Provides training and support aimed at expanding the capabilities of the operations staff. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
o demonstrating the proper use and care of tools and instruments
o giving hands on instruction in basic maintenance
o safety and troubleshooting procedures
o recommending relevant outside engineering courses for enrollment and instilling an overall level of professionalism in manner and appearance.
· Provides information for input to client work order tracking system to initiate work orders for unscheduled jobs, develop materials lists for ordering, and may be required to provide technical support for projects.
· Responds to emergency situations and traces, troubleshoots and repairs problems; may wear a pager and or carry a shop radio for rapid response, conducts general housekeeping to mechanical/electrical rooms including sweeping, mopping and painting.
· Completes work in accordance with UG2's Business Systems Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions.
· Supervisory Responsibilities.
· Seven to ten years of operations and maintenance experience in a commercial high-rise environment.
· Experience with operating, troubleshooting and maintaining central plant including large tonnage chillers and commercial boilers.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels.
· Three to Five years leading successful trades teams providing a world class service.
· To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
o Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
o Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
o Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
o Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
o Interpersonal Skills - Listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
o Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
o Written Communication - Edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
o Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
o Cost Consciousness - Conserves organizational resources.
o Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
o Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
o Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
o Motivation - Measures self against standard of excellence.
o Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently.
o Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
o Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
o Quantity- Completes work in timely manner; Works quickly.
o Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
o Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
o Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
o Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
o Initiative- Asks for and offers help when needed.
o One-year certificate from college or technical school or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
o Language Skills
o Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals, write routine reports and correspondence, speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
· Mathematical Skills
· Ability to calculate and apply the concepts of figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
· Reasoning Ability
o Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Computer Skills
o Basic skills such as Internet searches, use of email systems, electronic manuals, electronic learning, etc.
· Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· Universal CFC
· Technical degree in HVAC or five or more years of related experience
· Must have an active Massachusetts Refrigeration Technician’s license
· Other Skills and Abilities
o Mechanical and electrical aptitude with large tonnage HVAC equipment is required
o Must be able to change refrigeration compressors, service cooling towers, rebuild or replace large centrifugal pumps, service & repair VAV boxes, troubleshoot and repair energy management controls and programming.
o Must be able to work varying shifts, weekend and holidays as needed.
o Must be able to respond to emergencies when needed.
o Must be able to use a variety of hand and power tools and be able to work on ladders, staging, and power platforms.
o Physical Demands
Job Type: Full-time
- Chief Engineer: 1 year (Preferred)
- operaration and maintenance: 7 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off