Purpose and Responsibility of the Position:
The Supplier Quality Engineer (Metallurgist)'s key responsibility is to interface with the Drive Automotive assigned supplier base, as well as Drive Automotive's work force and leaders to ensure customer requirements and product quality are met, with an emphasis on metallurgy & raw materials studies. Interface with all aspects of the plant to ensure quality expectations are being met.
The Supplier Quality Engineer (Metallurgist) is responsible to ensure that the Customer, People, and Investor goals are met and in balance.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- To insure all raw material suppliers are in compliance with all OEM standards as called out by the Customer Specifics
- Prepare technical documentation and provide support for new program, EC, part launches and process changes at Drive Automotive including PPAP, ISIR Control Plan, FMEA, E/C etc. as it relates to supplier quality.
- Schedule, coordinate and report to a cross-functional team meeting to address any supplier related concerns internal or external.
- Conduct supplier audits as needed , travel will be required
- Interface with plant quality & manufacturing to ensure responsible suppliers are adhering to the Drive supplier quality requirements.
- Responsible to insure assigned supplier(s) base adhere to Drive Automotive’s corrective actions request (on time closures, repeat concerns, root cause, etc).
- Responsible for holding suppliers accountable for meeting supplier rating targets, ie. PPM, incident rates, as it relates to the KPI’s for Supplier Quality.
- Onsite visits to suppliers’ location to address quality issues and to insure Drive Automotive requirements being met.
- Responsible to reduce risk to Drive Automotive Industries through suppliers RPN values in FMEA’s, lessons learned activities.
- Make decisions and advise on an on-going basis to insure Drive Automotive Industries quality requirements are being met.
- Take additional training to maintain pace with new technology. Will require some personal time.
- Ability to work assigned shift with no interruptions to scheduled time.
- Able to function effectively using computer software i.e. Word, Excel, SAP, PP.
- Able to provide clear feedback to the OEM level when needed
- Perform duties with limited supervision
- Self-motivated and willing to perform hands-on tasks
- Perform other duties as required.
1. Able to use the following Metallurgical equipment in a laboratory environment:
- Metallographic sample prep polishers and mounting equipment
- Optical Microscopes, stereo scope, metallurgraph
- Tensile Tester
- Hardness Testers
2. Strong root cause analysis ability that is data driven, giving clear and concise conclusions
3. Able to read technical drawings and standards as it relates to the manufacturing process
4. Working knowledge of Metallurgical Techniques showing a competent understanding
5. Working knowledge of steel / aluminum making processes
- Working knowledge (written and oral) of English and applied mathematics, chemistry knowledge of the periodic table, working knowledge of applied physics.
- Able to present information before groups of customers, employees, and members of management at levels of the organization.
- Ability to teach various Drive quality requirements.
- Ability to work with applied mathematics, such as probabilities, statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- The ability to research, apply chemistry design intent to an integrated platform in a working environment. Intuitive assumptions on reaction interface to application(s) required by the OEM. Risk easements on required paths given by the OEM.
- Knowledgeable of customer requirements as it relates to E-coating, Painting & Sealer requirements.
- Problem solving abilities using advanced problem-solving techniques.
- Good organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Manufacturing Environment: 90% Standing and walking, 10% Lifting
Education and/or Experience
- 4-year degree (Material Science / Metallurgy): and/or work history of 5 to10 years of related work experience in an engineering roll, with lab and metallurgy background
Visa Sponsorship Is Not Available For This Position
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Manufacturing: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location