Junior Privacy Engineer - Direct Applicants Only/Remote Applicants Accepted
The Junior Privacy Engineer will assist in the creation of product privacy guidelines, design review, privacy audits, risk analysis and application-level vulnerability testing across Genius Plaza products. In this role, he/she will assist in analyzing software designs and implementations from a privacy and UX perspective and work to drive privacy best practices across the company.
He/She will assist in the development of technical solutions to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities and advocate for strong privacy design across Genius Plaza. He/She will work closely with the CTO, software engineers, product owners, and the legal and policy team to build new features, and work on critical efforts. He/She should have a passion for privacy and user choice, along with a good understanding of security infrastructure, design analysis, and research experience.
We work in small, independent, self-organizing teams. The CTO, the team’s Product Owner and engineering lead work together to organize and prioritize the team’s backlog with a focus on continuously delivering new features to our users.
What you will do:
What you will need:
- Assist in developing and implementing solutions to ensure privacy policies are correctly implemented. The implementations should advance compliance with legal forms of data use as well as support business use of data.
- Work to align advanced technologies and Privacy by Design principles from the first stages of development and ensure that the data use meets established regulatory compliance needs.
- Collaborate with product teams creating new uses of data that employ privacy features
- Assist in analyzing, designing and programing software enhancements for new data streams with a goal of developing technical solutions and systems to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities and prevent potential future privacy risks.
- Responsible for assisting with the management of the data privacy, data protection, data usability, performance and the integrity of the privacy solution.
- Using current programming language and technologies, assist in the creation of a solid design, writing code, completing programming, and performing testing and debugging of applications as well as completing documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
- Interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications to new or existing software.
- Interface with other developers and architects in implementing big data solutions that enable the business to be data driven while protecting the data assets.
- Use data anonymization, pseudonimization and encryption to assist in the development of systems that preserve and improve privacy protections.
- Assist in identifying areas of improvement in local practices relative to managing data privacy.
- Assist with regular privacy assessments of operational processes, identifying, and mitigating risks across the company through effective tools, training and guidance
- Assist with communicating program progress, escalations, and issue analysis to key stakeholders
What will be great:
- BS degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, privacy engineering or related field and experience.
- Strong software development skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate designs, proposals, and results
- At least 2-3 years' experience in privacy / data protection or concentration in privacy engineering
- Experience in identifying, analyzing, scoping, containing and eradicating real-world threats.
- Knowledge of incident response phases and concepts.
- Experience with an interpreted programming language (PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.).
- Knowledge of internet privacy and application security issues.
- CIPT Certification preferred
We want you to know:
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to balance risks in ambiguous and complex situations.
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, in particular in contributing to global and multi-functional teams.
- Highly motivated to contribute and grow within a complex area of emerging importance.
- Experience or understanding of software applications design tools and languages
- Understanding of design for software applications running on multiple platforms.
- Understanding of testing, coding and debugging procedures.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of software engineering fundamentals.
- Competent in the interpretation of numeric data, an understanding of statistical principles.
- Data literacy: finding and managing data, cleansing data, manipulating data.
- Ability to perform operations on large datasets
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter- this is where you can really state your case for why you).
We are committed to fostering diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.