Fiber Optic System Engineer 4
Posting Id: 70120
Rate: $60- $75 DOE (1099 or C2C only)
Resumes: April 8, 2020
BACKGROUND CHECK is required
Percent Of Time onsite - 100% Onsite
Interview - interview-In person or video conference call
Location: Carson City, NV
Start Date: ASAP
Project End Date: 06/30/2021
Experience with installation and maintenance of OSP fiber cabling and associated infrastructure in underground and aerial deployments. Familiarity with industry codes / standards associated with OSP fiber infrastructure construction techniques.
Familiar with design, installation, and support of OSP/ISP fiber facilities, including support of environmental systems, power components and ISP fiber systems within communication huts or other buildings. Experience performing fiber splicing utilizing fusion equipment, installation of fiber optic components such as distribution panels, splice cabinets, relay racks, fiber management equipment (raceways, trays, etc.). Ability to perform site surveys during preliminary design phase in order to ascertain and produce fiber related project requirements.
Experience with use of OTDR and Power Meter test equipment for post-construction, or maintenance / troubleshooting testing, per industry standards establishing fiber optic test methodologies, including review of test results to ensure satisfactory results have been achieved.
Possession of industry technical certifications such as FOA, CFI, CFOT or ETA and/or demonstrated equivalent work experience.
Experience with Fiber Optic Long Haul transport systems a plus. Experience with Optical Networking technology such as CWDM, DWDM, MPLS and Ethernet/IP is preferred.
Ability to read and interpret project plans/drawings or construction as-builts. Familiarity with GIS fiber-mapping and inventory software. Ability to use these applications to enter new data into inventory and maintain the information as changes occur.
Ability to coordinate with contractors on projects involving deployment, repair or reconfiguration of fiber facilities. This includes generation of SOW, solicitation of contractor bid(s), monitoring job progress, inspection of work performed, and processing invoices upon satisfactory completion.
Proficiency in use of common office productivity software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat). Ability to utilize Visio and Google Earth Pro to generate splicing diagrams and map overlays to indicate required fiber connectivity or pathways, and infrastructure placement for fiber construction projects.
Effective communication skills and ability to multi-task in a group environment, coordinating with team members and external personnel to achieve department objectives within specified delivery timelines. Proficient analytical, organizational and time management skills are required.
The Consultant will be expected to provide a wide variety of services to support the present work and future operations of NDOT’s Fiber Optic System. Specific tasks will be determined and authorized by the Fiber Optic Project Manager as they become needed. This scope includes four categories of work as defined below. Costs shall be billed as a unit price contract using the unit category rates as defined herein.
A. Planning, Analysis and Database Development/Management
Consultant will assist NDOT with the following planning and analysis activities:
Assist with fiber and communication needs analysis, system planning and programming. Have knowledge of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET), Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM), or Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) systems.
· Develop or update fiber management databases / mapping.
o Telvent experience preferred
· Provide as-designed splice details and outside plant data for updating NDOT’s fiber configuration database.
o Telvent experience preferred
· Analyze business impacts of implementing new technology or major system changes and prepare reports documenting alternatives.
· Develop acceptance test plans.
Consultant will assist NDOT with the reviews, coordination and provision of needed information to NDOT personnel and other consultants. Typical assignments are expected to be as defined below:
· Develop splice details for others.
· Meet with contractors / consultants to identify
· Review and redline plans and construction specifications for compliance and consistency with ITS standards and architecture.
· Facilitate fiber designs and device configurations between NDOT and Design Contractors.
· Provide oversight and construction management of NDOT managed fiber projects.
C. Field Verification / Site Improvements
Consultant will assist NDOT with field verification, contractor support or other related fiber tasks as assigned. Typical efforts might include:
· Conduct / Verify communication acceptance test plans on behalf of NDOT.
· Prepare and update ATMS communication as-builts.
D. Special Projects
Consultant will assist NDOT with special projects as they relate to the communications, fiber management and ATMS programs. These projects will be
· Verify field conditions (i.e., splice details, fiber count, cable size, number of conduits, GIS location of plant etc.)
· Perform fiber tests (i.e., OTDR’s – optical time domain reflectivity tests).
· Perform fiber repairs, maintenance or system enhancements (i.e., fiber splicing, device configuration, calibration, install new fiber installs, etc.)
· Develop reports (concepts, training manuals, database queries etc.)
· Develop fiber system ATMS designs that meet NDOT’s standards.
· Assist public/private partners with environmental clearances on joint projects.
· Assist public/private partners on best practices for construction in the NDOT right of way.
· Assist with the publishing and coordination of GIS mapping.
· Develop custom mapping in GIS interactive formats and other formats.
· Assist with the publishing of custom web tools used to support the fiber network and its partners.
· Travel may be required. Travel cost will be reimbursed at the current rates allotted to state employees, and is based on actual costs limited by Federal Travel Regulations (FTR) and the CONUS rate for Nevada. The FTR breaks down meals and incidental expenses at its website: https://www.gsa.gov/travel-resources. The first and last travel days are calculated at seventy five percent (75%). The lodging rate excludes taxes and fees. Taxes and fees are reimbursable. For lodging in Nevada, refer to: www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120. The SERVICE PROVIDER shall provide lodging receipts.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $50.00 to $75.00 /hour
Full Time Opportunity:
- Monday to Friday
- 8 hour shift