STAFF ENGINEER SYSTEMS
The Staff Systems Engineer reports to the Engineering Leader and is responsible for support of Thrust Reverser Actuation System development, leadership support, collaboration and process improvement. This position works under a low level of supervision and performs a high level of independent work while accountable to exemplify a systems thinking culture.
This position has a high level of industry and customer contact especially relevant to contemporary practice and market technical needs. This position will utilize interpersonal skills and technical judgment to balance the demands and risks of the system and stakeholders. This position supports negotiation, opportunity evaluation and influences technical direction aligned with stakeholders.
- System Requirement Definition - Derives the Thrust Reverser Actuation System (TRAS) requirements from the analysis of the customer requirements and establishes acceptance criteria for these requirements. Able to resolve and negotiate requirement conflicts in order to establish a complete and consistent requirement set for the system. Identifies areas of uncertainty and risk when determining requirements. Assesses the impact of changes to requirements on the solution and program.
- System Architecture Definition - Determines system architecture that best meets the system requirements. Understands and evaluates various architectures and the rationale behind them along with the ability and risks associated with each architecture to meet the system requirements and business objectives.
- System/Component Interface Management - Performs the identification and definition of key interfaces between the various aircraft systems and TRAS components and resolves conflicts between these interfaces. These interfaces may be physical (envelope, hydraulic piping, mounting, electrical wiring, fluid flows and pressures, etc.), software (communication protocols, messages, alarms, shutdowns, etc.), environmental (thermal management, soakback, running and storage conditions, etc.) and/or system level sequencing and interactions.
- System Design Implementation - Performs system engineering work and engages other stakeholders within the enterprise, supply base, and the customer in order to finalize aspects of the system design. Coordinates with the PMO to design the project plan throughout the phases of the project to ensure that the project can be successfully executed and risks mitigated as soon as practical.
- System Validation - Performs the review of each system requirement and confirms the origin and need for the requirement and that the requirement is reasonable. Identifies and resolves conflicts between various requirements and elements within the system.
- Technical Analysis - Performs the necessary System Modeling and Simulation, Engineering Mathematical and Quantitative Analysis, Finite Element Analysis, Flow/Pressure Analysis, and other analysis as necessary. Performs thorough analysis of the system to ensure it meets the technical requirements
- Hydraulic Actuation – Provides hydro-mechanical system expertise in hydraulic actuation, component design and manufacture
- Hydraulic Valve – Provides hydro-mechanical system expertise in hydraulic valves, component design and manufacture
- System Verification - Performs the technical planning for system verification. Develops, reviews and approves the system verification test plans as well as system test equipment requirements. Works with the team to execute the verification plan and resolve issues with verification testing. Writes, reviews and approves test reports for internal and external use.
- Technical Risk Management - Performs technical system risk planning and appropriate risk mitigation actions. Participates in identifying and planning for enterprise risks and risk mitigation actions. Performs the technical risk mitigation actions within the project plan and helps resolve program impacts of the risk mitigation testing.
- System Decision Management and Configuration Control - Leads discussions and decisions around the management of the system requirements. Guides the team for configuration control of requirements and designs. Works with the PMO to address the program management impacts from these items.
- Concurrent Engineering and Enterprise Integration - Works with customers and across the organization to understand how the customer's needs are evolving and how this will impact our system and subsystems. Identifies and works across the organization to ensure that we are managing the technical development process across the enterprise.
- Provides leadership of system and subsystem technical scope defined above and takes a lead role with engineers, designers and technicians.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills. Accomplished in discussing complex or difficult topics at various levels within the company or with the customer.
- Leads the evaluation of the big picture and has the necessary attention to detail. Open Minded to Rational Risk Taking. Able to learn quickly and adapt.
- Is able to effectively interface with all the multiple disciplines on the team and with customers and suppliers. Passionate and motivated to deliver the system while keeping the team aligned.
- Excellent problem solving/troubleshooting skills for systems, subsystems and components
- Is skilled at understanding the system requirements and negotiating any changes or tradeoffs at the systems, subsystems and components level.
- Demonstrates leadership skills; ability to drive results across organizational boundaries.
- Hydro-mechanical system expertise in hydraulic actuation component design and manufacture.
- Aerospace background and working knowledge of aerospace and military industry standards and the ability to apply complex groupings of these standards into designs. Ability to quickly learn, interpret and apply new standards.
- Drives self and team to get the desired results. Keeps the overall system goal in mind and directs activities to ensure we achieve these results. Identifies and elevates risks early to ensure these are managed appropriately.
- Skilled in the use and application of design tools; solid use of DFSS tools and methodologies; solid knowledge of Engineering quality systems (Engineering change, configuration management). Effective at utilizing required analytical tools.
- Significant contributor to the design of complex products/systems.
- Ability to strategically prioritize based on business needs.
- May have company recognized expertise. May represent Client at conferences and industrial events.
- Uses sound engineering judgment and the best available data to make decisions. Shows high integrity in evaluating the system, system risks, and enterprise impacts.
- Coaches and mentors team members. Asks questions that challenge assumptions, validate conclusions and explores possibilities.
- Solid use of PCs and associated software.
- Solid knowledge of appropriate WISE/SAP applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, Warranty, EC screens and part tracking.
Education or Formal Training
- Bachelor's degree in a Technical/Science or International equivalent required
- Post-graduate technical degree or System Engineering Certificate desired
Greater than 8 years of relevant experience or a combination of experience and advanced degree required
Materials and Equipment Used
PC and related equipment
Working Environment/ Physical Activities
Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F. Moderate travel may be required.
Estimated pay: $97,922 - $122,403
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- Systems engineering: 8 years (Required)
- aviation/aerospace/automotive engineering: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location