Public Works Engineering Department:
Full-time entry level/mid-level Civil Engineer position. The Engineering Division is responsible for planning, budgeting, design, specifications, bid document preparation and construction of Public Works projects. The department is the City's liaison with Kern COG, Community Development and Caltrans. Seeking self-motivated individual; must work well with others and have a good rapport with the public. This position is responsible for customer service, managing consultants, engineering analysis, design and recommendations for municipal public works facilities and projects. Under general supervision assists in customer service and the performance of professional engineering work related to the design, survey, construction and maintenance of roadways, storm drains, sanitary sewer, parks, facilities or other city and private development projects; performs related work as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Prepares plans specifications and cost estimates for minor projects involving road, drainage, building, and similar facilities.
- Assists in field investigations and studies in preparation of preliminary and final plans, specifications, and cost estimates for a variety of projects such as drainage systems, roads, waste facilities, highways, buildings, and flood control.
- Compiles data for and assists in conducting studies or tests relating to the location, size and capacity of other engineering structures, buildings, or facilities.
- Assists in the review of portions of plans for structures and projects prepared by outside agencies or private firms to determine if they are in accordance with department standards and practices and sound engineering principles.
- Assists in the preparation of studies and/or testing used in traffic analyses, flood plain studies and other engineering reviews.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and/or administration of construction and operations contracts for various city projects and programs.
- Assists in the preparation of environmental documents, permit and grant applications related to the operation of city facilities as required by federal law. Maintains records and prepares reports. And other duties as assigned.
Working knowledge of principles of all aspects of engineering and their application to a variety of engineering problems; topographic and construction surveying; mechanics and properties of materials; engineering economics and real property descriptions; knowledge of engineering drafting methods and equipment; basic principles of geology, hydraulics, mathematics, and meteorology as applied to hydrology; computer science, and geomorphology; computer modeling techniques.
Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other City departments, engineers, architects, contractors, the public and other governmental entities; direct the work of others; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; research and prepare complex engineering reports; review and check complex engineering designs, computations, plans and studies; understand, explain and apply policies and procedures; analyze unusual situations and resolve them through application of management and engineering principles and practices; establish and maintain effective relationships with the community at large, the City Council, and other public officials.
Complete City employment application (available on our website) before the first review date of February 18, 2021 or as long as open. APPLY AT City of Ridgecrest, City Hall – Finance Department OR E-Mail to: email@example.com or fax to 760-499-1520. Website: www.ridgecrest-ca.gov Go to How Do I..., then click on Employment Opportunities. Click on download application on right side under Tools. Look for job title. See Job descriptions: ENGINEERI.SPC / ENGINEERII.SPC EOE
Education and/or Experience Prior internship and/or full time experience working for a government agency or contractor in a project engineering or related role is preferred. Experience with AutoCAD is a must. Ideal candidate would be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Project, possess strong attention to detail and have the ability to work in a fast paced environment. Excellent customer service and oral and written communication skills are required. Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance will be considered. Example combinations include graduation from an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited four year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in engineering, land surveying; OR possession of a valid “Engineer-in-training” (EIT) OR “Land Surveyor in Training” (LSIT) issued by the State of California.
The cost of living index in Ridgecrest is below the US average (100), and one of the lowest in California at 96.0 - in comparison, San Diego’s cost of living index is 160. The median cost of a home in Ridgecrest is $209,000 (Zillow) compared to $644,000 in San Diego. Tired of the time you waste sitting in traffic? Ridgecrest City Hall is less than 10 minutes from anywhere in town, allowing for more time with family, friends, or out exploring some of the many wonders in and around Ridgecrest. Ridgecrest is known for its incredible sunrises and sunsets.