Exterior Systems Engineering
The Magna Exteriors portfolio of products includes access systems such as liftgates, exterior trim, modular systems, front-end modules including fascia, active aerodynamic systems and other lightweight structural components for automotive, commercial truck and other industrial markets.
Recognized globally as an innovator in all aspects of vehicle exteriors, Magna provides everything needed, from materials development and design through manufacturing and assembly, to help automakers create sleek, state-of-the-art vehicles across the world.
The Senior Engineer applies engineering principles and analytical techniques to the design and/or development of product concepts, components, or assemblies. The Senior Engineer will be responsible for process, material and product development targeted toward new business applications for Magna Exteriors. Also to provide focused area of expertise. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Other Job Elements:
- Identify and lead new development projects focusing on new concepts, cost savings, global activities and obtaining new business.
- Create & execute goals, timing and cost for project(s).
- Track & evaluate emerging technologies.
- Monitor and benchmark competitors.
- Communicate/coordinate projects between divisions, sales, targeted programs, customer needs and corporate representative.
- Functions as a development specialist with a particular expertise in part design, materials, processes and tooling.
- Support Exteriors Sales group in pursuing new business.
- Participate as a lead member of the Global Expert Team to coordinate development activities across all of Exteriors and Magna worldwide.
- Supports and implements the ‘Innovation Development Process’.
- Identifies design work and creates design specifications for a variety of complex product components to obtain operational, cost, quality, and/or manufacturing feasibility improvements.
- Analyzes highly complex design problems and formulates engineering conclusions by the application of engineering and/or mathematical principles.
- Consults with personnel in various engineering activities relative to the design, drafting, and experimental construction of product components.
- Provides technical support and follow-up on Design/Product Validation activities.
- Create and maintain DFMEA, DVP, Open Issue Lists and Timelines.
- Represent our company professionally, and with a high level of integrity and enthusiasm.
- Develop customer relationships that support our ability to be successful.
- Effectively network and communicate to utilize resources within the company.
- Effective Communication with Employees, Managers, Divisions and Customers.
- Other job duties as required and/or assigned.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Skills/Special Knowledg e – Bachelor of Science degree in related field, or equivalent job experience preferred.
Experience – Minimum 7 years of diversified engineering experience. Ability to show increasing responsibility over time.
Physical Demands/Work Environment - Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office and lab environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer, may require local, domestic, and international travel.
Proven track record of bringing new concepts, cost saves and new materials to market.