Software Test Analyst
As a Software Test Analyst at the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)this position will have at least one (1) year of experience performing IT application testing and/or User Acceptance Testing. This position is responsible for working closely with the application development team, the project management team, and the program team to develop and deliver testing solutions. The Software Test Analyst reports to the Test Team Manager within the DFPS IT Systems Development Resources work unit of the DFPS ITS Program.
This position creates detailed, comprehensive tests cases, test estimates, plans individual testing activities like data prep and executes manual test cases/scripts. The Software Test Analyst is responsible for identifying, recording, and documenting defects. This position will work on and test multiple DFPS applications
The Software Test Analyst will have expertise developing and executing test scripts, documenting test results, and working with developers and business analysts to interpret functional requirements, and address defects found during testing. Analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal skills are required.
This position is classified as a full-time position (40 hours a week). Work outside of regular hours may be required. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
This position is a full-time position that includes other State of Texas benefits as described in this SAO site: http://www.sao.texas.gov/SAOReports/ReportNumber?id=18-704
Essential Job Functions:
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured tests cases.
- Identifies and gathers test data to execute test scripts.
- Performs system, regression, smoke test, and user acceptance testing activities and documents results.
- Conducts Section 508 and WCAG compliance testing.
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities
- Identifies, documents, and troubleshoots system errors in applications.
- Performs triage and prioritization of defects.
- Performs root cause analysis.
- Completes required test status reports.
- Assists developers and participates in technical analysis.
- Follows best practice standards for the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Participates in debugging activities related to system level problems and issues.
- Reviews project-related documentation (project plans, requirements and design documents, and risk and issue logs)..
- Communicates progress and issues affecting work assignments to lead.
- Provides Tier 3 level support to the Program Support Customer Support Desk when in a Warranty Phase.
- Provides release support outside normal working hours.
- Conducts demos for stakeholders (e.g., program areas, other state agencies).
- Participates in release-related activities including pre-release planning, mock release activities, smoke testing during release, disaster recovery testing, and warranty work following a release, and other tasks as assigned.
- Identifies, analyzes, and articulates business and functional requirements for DFPS systems with stakeholders.
- Develops knowledge of the DIR Project Delivery Framework.
- Develops an understanding of databases, and integration of systems to ensure thorough analysis.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit operations.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
- Knowledge of testing, test planning, test design, test script development, defect tracking, and test reporting.
- Knowledge of SQL database tools for researching, testing, and resolving identified system issues.
- Knowledge of requirements gathering disciplines such as Use Case development.
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle.
- Skill in analyzing, evaluating, and translating information into easily understandable and concise documents and oral presentations.
- Skill in the use of office productivity software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to organize and complete work tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to analyze systems and business workflow procedures.
- Ability to coordinate and solve complex problems, handle multiple priorities/tasks and meet deadlines with general supervision.
- Ability to accurately estimate changes or enhancements with minimal amount of effort.
- Ability to learn, quickly comprehend, and apply new concepts, technology and tools.
- Ability to accurately report and track time for work tasks and projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Initial Selection Criteria:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer science, information systems, computer engineering or a related field. Work experience on a year-for-year basis may be substituted for education.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer science, information systems, computer engineering or a related field. Work experience may be substituted for education.
- At least one year of IT experience or one-year experience performing user acceptance testing in a program area.
- Fully completed application according to document instructions.
You must meet the minimum initial screening criteria to be considered. You should not apply if your submittal documents do not clearly reflect experience meeting the initial screening criteria.
This position is classified as a fulltime position (40 hours a week). Work outside of regular hours may be required. Travel to other work location may be required.
25B, IT, 275, 0171, 3D0X2
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.