The Chassis Engineer is responsible for engineering, problem resolution and other engineering duties in support of Vermont SportsCar. In this role, you will be a key contributor in the future product development of all new models including conventional and zero-emission products. This role will have direct influence at sub system level to optimize the piece parts and sub-systems, and undertake multiple, independent and complex tasks simultaneously and manage competing priorities, often in a fast paced and dynamic setting.
This position reports to the Technical Director but may also get direction/guidance from senior engineers.
The role will collaborate with internal and external partners to interpret customer requirements, supply chain capabilities, manufacturing capabilities and business needs, contribute to complex designs at the subsystem and vehicle level, devising optimal product solutions in concert with electrical and product validation peers.
· Design, analyze, and test structural systems, steering, brakes, hydraulics, and suspensions in vehicles.
· Assist with the architectural design of the chassis system.
· Conduct investigations and drive failure analysis on any issues, communicate findings to appropriate parties.
· Monitor and analyze data from various tests administered on different components of the vehicle to ensure proper function.
· Create technical reports from data and analysis.
· Manage costs.
· Adhere to safety protocols outlined by VSC
· Perform all duties in a responsible manner that best represents Vermont SportsCar, the sports of rallycross and our sponsors.
· Perform other related duties, as necessary.
· Excellent organizational skills with a high degree of initiative, flexibility and attention to detail is required.
· Excellent communication skills, at all levels of organization.
· Optimize designs via analytical, numerical and/or empirical assessments. Make mechanical, thermal and electrical models/analysis to ensure product requirements are met
· Produce and/or evaluate possible design solutions to improve cost, quality, delivery and performance on specialized knowledge of engineering applications together with possible involvement of other functional engineers and/or customer/supplier personnel
· Direct Design Office to complete 3D models and drawings as necessary
· Release drawings accordingly to support production cost estimation and prototype quotes
· Review CAD models and drawings of component to ensure their integrity
· Use CAD modeling software to create components, assemblies, and engineering drawings for manufacturing
· Create and maintain Bill of Materials (BOM) along with all project documentation
· Design and document solutions, within the scope of concepts, for components and modules, taking project guidelines (e.g. safety, quality, costs, weights and dates) into consideration
· Detail mechanical design including design for manufacture and assembly
· Analyze assignments and determine engineering specifications which must be fulfilled for problems or projects
· Support production ramp & ongoing/continuous product/process improvement
· Conduct field testing and provide preliminary evaluations
· Must understand and appreciate the importance of being a team player with a “can-do” attitude.
· Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, etc.).
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s or Masters’ degree in Mechanical or Automotive engineering
· 3+ years’ experience in professional motorsports
· General knowledge of automotive systems
· While performing the duties of this position, individuals may frequently be required to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; regularly required to talk and hear.
· The individual must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
· Specific vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus as required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Common surfaces sanitized regularly, facility closed to public, curbside pickup of orders available.
- Chassis Engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place