Lead Field Engineer with a focus on networking
We are a fast-paced managed services provider offering a wide range of IT services to small and medium businesses in and around greater Boston. We have been growing steadily since 2010 and have a position open for a Senior Field Engineer who has strong experience with networking and firewalls. The general day to day duties for this role include assisting clients with higher level needs such as solutions architecture, managing on-site installs and maintenance, and working as an escalation point for our helpdesk and other engineers. Another major component of this position will be to help maintain and patch our internal and client networking equipment, and work toward improving this process to make it as efficient and as automated as possible. While not a management position, this role would be a technical lead for both helpdesk technicians and other field engineers.
While we are currently working mostly remotely due to the COVID19 pandemic, we are normally based out of our Newton office. Our team provides exceptional customer service to a wide range of clients located in and around the Greater Boston area. Our senior engineers are an integral part of our team at ArcLight and are exposed to complex challenges with workstations, servers, cloud environments, networking configurations, email, and much more. If you are looking for that next level professional challenge where you can make a significant difference, ArcLight IT is the place for you.
- Solid customer service skills, both over the phone and in person.
- Positive attitude and approach to technical issues and challenges, as well as client interactions
- Self starter who is able to prioritize and execute projects and tasks with a focus on timely, accurate results.
- Solid experience with firewalls: Fortigate, Cisco, Ubiquiti, Meraki, and the occasional Sonicwall.
- Solid experience with switches: Cisco, HPE, Ubiquiti, Meraki, and occasionally Netgear, Zyxel, D-Link, etc., as encountered at new clients.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 through 2019, including: Active Directory, Exchange, RDS, published apps, file services and print services. SQL and SharePoint experience is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with cloud services such as Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, email filtering, encryption, and archival services.
- Workstation troubleshooting skills, including Windows user and Outlook profile management, and use of business applications, e.g., MS Office, QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat, etc.
- Ability to successfully troubleshoot complex server and workstation performance issues
- Experience with both local and off-site backup technologies
- Understanding of server and workstation hardware, ability to swap out primary components (hard drives, RAM, etc.)
- Willingness to alternate between the challenging complex projects, and the routine helpdesk tasks such as virus removal, print/save issues, migrations, etc.
- Great documentation skills including ability to prepare network/infrastructure drawings.
Additional Preferred Skills
- Previous MSP experience is preferred
- Setting up and maintaining Microsoft Azure infrastructures, including Azure AD, Azure VMs, Azure Cloud Backup, etc. Similar skill set with Amazon Web Services is also desirable.
- Comfortable performing site surveys and recommending full stack solutions for new and existing offices
- Configuring site-to-site, SSL and IPSec VPNs
- Switching protocols (VLANs, trunking, STP, POE, etc.)
- VMware, Hyper-V, or other VM technologies
- Assisting in the on-boarding of new clients, including analyzing and documenting their existing networks and processes
- Implementing and managing WiFi networks from various vendors, including Ubiquiti Unifi and Meraki
- Participation in occasional paid evening and weekend on-call assignments.
- Reliable car for transportation (we reimburse for business travel mileage)
- Ability to climb a ladder to install/troubleshoot WiFi APs in drop ceilings (we have a separate cabling team, but you’re welcome to participate)
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs; we often have to deliver servers and other hardware.
Culture & Compensation
We believe the best work for our clients comes from happy IT professionals, so we have worked hard to create a welcoming environment that prioritizes the human side of the IT services field. We believe that a healthy work-life balance is critical. We work in a fast-paced industry, which we complement with a laid back work environment with many perks. One of the keys to our success has been our culture of exceptional customer service, so we're looking for someone who can deliver the right attitude as well as the right technical solutions. Salary and benefits are dependent on experience.
Some job benefits include:
- Friendly office environment with emphasis on not burning out in IT - We enforce our lunch breaks!
- Complimentary beverages and snacks, when we’re all eventually back in the office!
- Commission structure available for new client referrals
- Flexible scheduling with ability to work from home when needed
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Computer Networking: 5 years (Preferred)
- LAN: 5 years (Preferred)
- Network certification (Preferred)
- Microsoft certification (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19