Auto req ID:
Sr Locomotive Systems Engineer
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provide additional guidance for unusual situations.
This position can be located in LaGrange, IL or Muncie, IN.
Key Job Elements
- Define vehicle / locomotive configuration, co-ordinate with different sub-systems, vehicle integration in support of technical inquiries from customers and in support of product portfolio studies;
- Review & response of customer specifications, processing of requirements with technical & commercial teams;
- Perform train simulation analyses;
- Support the lead systems engineer in determining optimum locomotive product solutions in support of technical inquiries;
- Maintain databases on customer track profiles, rolling stock, and locomotive data;
- Be proactive in collecting necessary data to perform the analysis. Necessary data could come from the customer or parts of the greater in-house project team;
- Create reports for use internally and with the customers;
- Capture customer requirements by developing Locomotive Engineering Requirements Specifications;
- At least 25% travel required (Willingness to travel).
Education / Training
- Bachelors in Engineering Electrical or Mechanical stream.
Qualifications and Experience
- Min 4 years of Systems integration experience relating to the design and application of diesel electric Locomotives;
- Experience in inquiry / tender response processes is mandatory;
- Experience conducting Simulations is highly preferred;
- Experience in writing reports for presentation to customers preferred;
- Capable of maintaining historical data in an organized fashion that is useful to other members of the design teams;
- Ability to use and maintain pc based computer programs;
- 3 years of experience using CAD tools, Unigraphics experience preferred;
- Knowledge of and programming skills in Matlab, Fortran, VisualBasic, and other languages a plus;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively in a large distributed project organization.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
- Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities