The Product Development Engineer reports to the Director of Product Development & Engineering and is responsible for developing new processes and products not currently existing at NHI. This position is responsible for researching new manufacturing methods and will act as the project manager working closely with the Toolroom, Manufacturing Engineering and Facilities departments to increase and improve the manufacturing capabilities and product offerings of NHI. This position is also responsible for conducting ROI analyses on Capital Expenditures as they pertain to new processes and equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Develop new and innovative products to support NHI Growth and Diversification initiatives
2. Research and develop new methods of manufacturing
3. Conduct continuous design improvements on existing product for improved manufacturability, extended life, and/or reduced cost
4. Develop product testing methods and standards and conduct testing on current and new products
5. Cost new product including ROI calculations for potential capital expenditures
6. Work directly with external customers to develop solutions to their application needs
7. Work with NHI supply chain and directly with suppliers as needed to develop new processes
8. Conduct analysis (Solidworks FEA, COBRA, hand calculations) on new and existing product
9. Review new product designs for compliance to customer or industry requirements and regulations
10. Document test results in formal test reports and presentations
1. Strong Technical Capacity and ability to think outside the box
2. Project Management of product from initial design concept to production
3. Problem solving/analysis
4. Experience conducting computer analysis
5. Experience with CAD (preferably Solidworks 2017 and newer)
This job operates in a professional office environment and in field and lab test environments. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers as well as standard hand tools such as wrenches and screwdrivers.
The performance of this position will require exposure to manufacturing and testing areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms. While operating in the test environment the employee may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb or balance. Must be able to lift heavy loads (50 lbs).
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel Expectations: Up to 10%
Skills & Abilities:
· Proficient in Solidworks including FEA
· Proficient in GD&T
· Proficient in Microsoft Excel
· Ability to gain consensus, influence and inspire
· Strong value engineering/cost improvement experience
· Excellent communications skills both verbal and written
· Strong project management skills
· Print reading and tolerance assessment
· High Mechanical aptitude with willingness to do hands-on development
· Strong attention to detail
· Self driven
· Ability to work under pressure
· Ability to multitask
· Advanced Problem solving
· Continuous improvement mindset
Required Education & Experience:
· Associates degree in engineering or other technical area
· Experience in high volume, engineered metal forming, machining, and welding
· Experience with ISO quality systems
Preferred Education & Experience:
· Bachelors degree in engineering or other technical area
· Design of Experiments (DOE) training
· Lean Six Sigma training
The above description covers the most significant duties performed but does not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the factor degrees assigned to this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $100,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location