The Software Engineering Manager oversees a team of Software Engineers and ensures that the team successfully meets their goals to build innovative, high-quality software in a timely manner. As a front-line manager, this position collaborates closely with business stakeholders and other IT teams to ensure that software is helping the company to meet its objectives. This is both a hands-on and supervisory position, the manager is expected to be able to oversee and work with a team in building software. This position will oversee developers building and maintaining a diverse set of applications and services built with PHP/Zend, Android and .NET/WPF. Applicants can differentiate themselves by demonstrating management and/or hands-on experience with any of these platforms, as well as Amazon Web Services or other public cloud architecture.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage software engineer staff members in their day-to-day tasks
- Evaluate software engineering staff on their performance, including making recommendations for pay adjustments, promotion and other personnel actions
- Oversee and participate in the design and development of software applications
- Direct development working using Agile SCRUM (including backlog grooming, stand-ups, post-mortems and other SCRUM ceremonies)
- Project management of software development projects (planning, prioritization, monitoring, budget)
- Work with business stakeholders to respond to requests for application development, and explore new opportunities for software to positively impact the company’s business
- Work with engineers to ensure cloud and on premise architecture supports reliable and performant operation of software applications
- Ensure software engineers have adequate tools and training to their job, including the evaluation of new and updated technology
- Perform other managerial tasks as defined by the organization and its Human Resources team
- 5 years or more of hands-on software development
- 2 years or more of supervisory / management responsibility
- 2 years or more of project management experience for software development
- Hands-on experience in all stages of software development lifecycle
- Agile (SCRUM and Kanban)
- Best-practices for developing highly usable and reliable software
Hours are flexible with some requirements for evening calls to coordinate with our offshore team, as well as participation in deployments.
The Software Engineering Manager will have the following physical requirements:
- Sit in front of a computer for the majority of the shift (at least 75%).
- Must communicate effectively with all team members listening and speaking in person or through telephone.
- Go up and down stairs (less than 25% of shift).
Job Type: Full-time
- Software Development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Management: 2 years (Preferred)
- Agile (Scrum and Kanban): 1 year (Preferred)
- Project Management Software: 2 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Retirement plan