Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
Position located in Slater, Iowa - Syngenta relocation benefits available.
About this Job:
The Analytics and Data Sciences (ADS) function is driving the evolution of data-driven decision making within the breeding, trait development and product selection teams globally, through adoption of new applications and the enhancement of skills, in data analytics and interpretation. This job is a regional role that will be supporting Soybean.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Shape vision for application of breeding analytics and quantitative methods in NA Soybean
- Support the definition and implementation of global data standards through the product development process.
- Promote “data as an asset” mindset in product development
- Jointly prioritize tool development with product development teams and communicate the needs of the breeding community (early through late product development) to the tool & methodology developers
- Facilitate adoption of analytical tools and quantitative methods to support breeding decision-making through teaching, mentoring and training breeding clients
- Create training material and participate in regular training sessions
- Support discovery of new tools and quantitative methods by communicating needs of breeding partners to algorithm and tool developers
- Guide tool developers to identify suitable analytical solutions for breeding pain-points and novel applications
- Support development of new tools to enhance user-experience by actively participating in User Acceptance Training sessions
- Focus on Soybean in North America
- Responsible to provide the support required for effective adoption of the computational techniques and tools for the NA Soybean Team throughout the Seeds Development Stage Plan
- Participate in the development of new breeding applications utilizing data analytics in Seeds product development.
- Contribute to the Analytics and Data Sciences Function by engaging team members to ensure delivery on Team goals and objectives.
- Work with the regional crop teams to define and implement data standards and promote “data as an asset” mindset.
- Support ADS alignment with adjacent functions, such as RDIT, by effective team leadership, open-partnering, sharing and collaborating
- Independently provide credible ADS expertise to regional breeding teams in NA
- Represent Syngenta in relevant external events to support the awareness of Syngenta as the leader in this space
- Contribute to the selection of the areas of focus in computational science defined by Seeds product development
- Accountable to maintain industry-leading technical competence in relevant computational science
- Partner with SD Learning by contributing to the development of technical training offerings and curricula in support of effective implementation of quantitative methods.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Advanced technical degree (PhD or MS) and/or relevant industrial experience
- 5+ years working closely with commercial breeding teams
- 5+ years of Quantitative Genetics, Plant Breeding or Statistics experience
- 1+ years of experience working with software developers
- 1+ years working closely with Information Management Systems, particularly breeding systems
- 1+ years of working closely with applied mathematicians or novel algorithm developers
- 1+ years of experience with Process Excellence and Quality Management teams
- Ability to listen to and communicate with up-stream tool developers and down-stream clients to progress the understanding of breeder pain-points, opportunities analytics brings to commercial breeding programs, tools in development, tools to be developed and training & support of analytical tools
- Solid understanding of commercial breeding programs, pipeline and quantitative genetics/breeding analytics
- Established understanding of existing and new analytical tools and means of decision-making within assigned crop team
- Beneficial to have experience working with novel algorithm developers (training-data and validation-data, discovery analytics and building functional prototypes)
- Beneficial to have working knowledge of Agile software, development Quantitative Genetics, Plant Breeding or Statistics Applied Mathematics
Process Excellence & Quality Management
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Traits & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to teach and develop training material; will train clients on the application and use of analytical tools
- Discover and communicate the value of improvements based on analytics for the breeding community
- Understand the purpose and functionality of existing analytical tools and the breeding decisions the tools support
- Develop training material and train clients on the use and application of analytical tools
- Learn & communicate client pain-points to identify potential targets for new tool development
- Partner with tool developers and clients to create and refine new tools
- Contribute to a high-functioning team by active participation in team meetings and as a team representative with clients and partners (internal and external)
- Understand tool development stage plan and manage responsibilities within the governance models of the stage plan
- Effectively communicate with IT teams (internally and externally)
- Travel will be required (25-30%); mostly domestic but some international travel may also be required
- Located at product development sites that support both Cereals and Soybean mega-sites or business hub or other relevant key site agreed upon with the crop teams
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Syngenta Contact Information:
If you need assistance during the application process, please contact the Service Desk at email@example.com
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
United States of America, USA-Iowa
Crop Genetics R&D