The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist / Senior Scientist - Microbiology/Marine Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused on microbiology and marine microbiology. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong microbiology skills as well as in-depth experience with marine biology, marine organism development, and mid/high-throughput profiling assays.
- Lead efforts in culturing and characterizing aquatic organisms.
- Design, develop, execute, and analyze assays related to marine organism’s growth and behavior under various environmental conditions
- Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of microbiology, synthetic biology, and marine biology
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- A Bachelors and 8 years or Masters and 6 years of technical experience. (technical experience can be obtained through schooling)
- Possess Secret Security Clearance and the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Experience in isolation and culturing of model and non-model microbial strains
- Experience with marine organism developmental biology
- Cloning, PCR, nucleic acid extraction and purification, genotyping.
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
Marine organism developmental biology experience
- Mid/High-throughput assay development
- Genomics / Metagenomics background
- Synthetic biology
A Ph.D. in Biology, or related discipline
External Referral Bonus
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.