Job Title: Building Science Engineer
Remote Location Options: Halifax or New Glasgow Regions
IRC Building Sciences Group, A Rimkus Company, is hiring!
We are seeking qualified Building Science Engineers to work in Nova Scotia. In return for your talent and effort, Rimkus offers a dynamic organization with a competitive salary and benefits package, flexible work schedule and opportunities for advancement.
In this position you will apply your technical knowledge to evaluate existing buildings and design solutions for the complex and unique problems of our clients. Projects will include a mix of residential, multi-family, and commercial projects, with an emphasis on repair of damage from fire, wind, flood, and impacts, as well as adaptive reuse of older buildings, and enhancements to existing facilities to accommodate changes in use and implementation of equipment and machinery. You must be able to balance several projects simultaneously and be detail orientated. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are essential.
- Assist in performing condition assessments of multi-residential, commercial, and institutional facilities and preparation of reports and reserve fund studies
- Perform field investigation work and the diagnosis of building problems required to design exterior envelope remediation including exterior wall, fenestration, roof and/or structural remediation
- Assist in performing leak investigations of all aspects of building envelope, roofs, walls, windows and foundations
- Assist in carrying out field review of construction work in progress on both new and restoration projects and report on progress and the contractor’s adherence to contract documentation
- Light AutoCAD support and specification writing
- Project management and contract administration
Duties will Include:
- Work setting in both the office or field environment
- Travel within the province of Nova Scotia
- Measuring of building dimensions and quantifying on site and from drawings
- Interpretation and hand drawing of in-situ construction details
- Working at heights including accessing buildings by ladders, swing stages and mechanical lifts
- Typical duties associated with working in a professional engineering office
- Co-ordinate all input for time billing and job costing
- Other tasks may be required to ensure timely completion of deadlines
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Completion of a degree in an engineering or technology program with a focus on Building Science, Architectural, or Civil / Structural Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years of engineering experience, with a focus on projects related to building sciences
- Knowledge in areas related to building science such as thermodynamics, heat transfer and psychometrics
- Understanding of building construction including methods, materials and systems is required
- Exceptional attention to detail, specifically in accuracy of calculations and completeness of data collection and notation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Self-motivating and multi-tasking ability
- Able to work individually and in a team setting'
- Work Remotely
How to Apply
Note that while all submissions will be reviewed, only those that are to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
IRC is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants selected for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Building Engineering: 3 years (required)