Scientific Applications & Research Associates, Inc. (SARA) is a world-class Defense Research and Development enterprise, with a charter to create technology innovations in support of Commercial & Government organizations. We have expertise in RF, EMP, Pulsed Power, Acoustics and Threat Warning Systems; partnering with our customers to address real-world problems with cost-effective solutions… that work.
The High-Power Electromagnetics Division (HPEM) team is at the forefront of radiated and conducted energy delivery systems from prime power to applications. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to grow, lead, and learn with talented engineers, physicists, and technicians on long-term programs and new programs supporting the DoD, DoE, and their contractors. The HPEM Division is looking for an exceptionally talented, motivated, and creative Mechanical Engineer to support rapid Research & Development (R&D) activities in Colorado Springs, CO.
Other requirements include:
- Qualified candidates should have, at a minimum, a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5-10 years of experience.
- More seasoned candidates with an MS degree or additional experience will be equally evaluated.
- U.S. Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance and willingness to occasionally travel to brief customers or participate in development testing is also required.
Additional expertise in the following areas is also preferred:
- Must have knowledge of manufacturing materials and their inherent properties
- In-Depth understanding of manufacturing, process improvements and documentation.
- Ability to work in rapid-prototyping environment with agility and openness to changes.
- Should be able to fabricate and concept prototypes quickly.
- Works closely with R&D team to prepare models and detail drawings which include multiple views and application of mathematics and physics to develop working prototypes to advance technology development.
- Research, design and evaluate mechanical products, systems and processes using engineering principles.
- Must consider relative costs and benefits of potential efforts to evaluate the most appropriate action and structural design.
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposals, specifications, and manuals to evaluate feasibility, cost, and/or maintenance requirements of product line.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to resolve system issues and provide technical information. Recommend design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the design, operation, or performance of equipment.
- Write performance requirements for system.
- Identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to goals of the system.
- Ability to carry out various responsibilities such as purchasing, manufacturing and others, to ensure final delivered product meets end user expectations.
- Leads product improvement case studies to identify serviceability and reliability improvements, as well as cost reduction on current product lines.
- 10 to 15 years' demonstrated experience researching new designs or applications of mechanical or electromechanical equipment
- Experience in fabrication and 3D Solidworks modeling
- Experience with structural design or electrical system design a plus
- Ability to work autonomously combined with excellent problem-solving skills to effectively research answers to conceptual questions utilizing internal and external resources
- Excellent time management skills; thrives in a deadline driven environment juggling multiple priorities and projects
- Upbeat, positive, high energy with a “can do” attitude; reacts well under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team, both in-house and on-site required
- Extremely reliable and dependable: Timely and complete deliverables are the norm. We are a results-oriented organization!
What’s in it for you?
- We offer health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life)
- PTO (Vacation, Sick, Holiday)
- Tuition Reimbursement & Certification
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Employee Project Bonuses
- 401(k)/Profit Sharing, and Stock Ownership
Salaries at SARA are competitive and are commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the individual. SARA is headquartered in the Los Angeles/Orange County area of Southern California and has offices in Irvine, California, Colorado Springs, Colorado and Tyler, Texas.
SARA, Inc. is an EEOC/Title VII/ADA compliant federally contracted employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. Also, as a federal contractor, SARA must abide by the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and maintains a drug-free workplace regardless of local and state allowance.
U.S. citizenship is required for most positions. (www.SARA.com)