Job Title: Fire Sprinkler Design Engineer Trainee
Reports To: Director of Engineering
The Designer Trainee is responsible for generating and managing detailed fire protection system layouts and designs, shop drawings, calculations and product submittal documents from Sales/Estimating through Construction complying with NFPA standards, building codes, and safety regulations. The Designer Trainee will be trained using computer-aided design (CAD) systems and peripheral equipment to familiarize him or herself with codes and layout designs.
- Design water-based automatic fire sprinkler systems per contract specifications, NFPA, State and Local codes.
- Work with sales staff to manage contract changes or discrepancies.
- Make site visits and communicate with all trades (general contractors, construction managers, owner, insurance underwriter and AHJ) to achieve system acceptance.
- Interpret contract drawings (same as blueprints) and specifications and provide layout of code compliant systems in addition to hydraulic calculations and stock listing materials.
- Finalizes fabrication techniques with Director of Engineering and Salesperson.
- Completes final shop drawings showing all pertinent information.
- Compiles foreman’s envelope including all necessary forms and paperwork.
- Currently pursuing or a recent graduate in a Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Construction Engineering or Management, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Knowledge of principles and familiarity with computer-aided drafting is preferred
- Familiarity with use of building codes if preferred
- Able to read engineer/design, architectural, and structural blueprints.
- Fundamental understanding of general construction methods, practices, and terminology.
- High level of self-discipline, motivation, and ability to operate in a team environment.
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
- Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management - Completes projects on time and budget.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Keeps commitments.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy
machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to position oneself into various spaces as job requires.
- Frequent moving up to 10 pounds.
- Occasional moving up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to read and comprehend blueprints and/or schematics.
Noise level is low in office.
Eye, ear and feet protection may be necessary at times.
Occasional exposure to job site hazards.
Occasional exposure to fabrication shop.
May work in varying temperatures when visiting job sites.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
This Job Is:
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education