Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
- Gas-fired generation
- Power delivery
- Environmental retrofits
- Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
- Evaluate, select and apply engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to site development projects
- Develop design documents including analysis, calculations, research, selection, and layout
- Assist in the design of mechanical piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs) for power plant systems including steam cycle systems, boiler feed and condensate, water treatment, fuel handling, hydraulic, heat transfer systems, conveying systems, and air and gas systems or OG&C Systems
- Prepare design calculations and specifications for major power plant related equipment including, but not limited to, combustion turbines, steam turbines, boilers, condensers, cooling towers, and pumps
- Prepare mechanical engineering designs, including layout, design sketches, and conceptual design
- Check design deliverables in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements and company standards
- Effectively analyze, calculate, research, select, and layout the necessary design and construction documentation
- Assist in the development of schedules, work assignments, and staffing requirements to ensure successful project completion
- Coordinate with other drafters, designers, and engineers assigned to the project or a task and review work progress and results
- Prepare specifications for major market related equipment
- 5-10 years’ experience in mechanical engineering and design. Experience in the power industry, electrical utilities or industrial markets, would be advantages, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program. Some masters’ coursework preferred
- PE license preferred.
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.