Why Join Us?
We are the epitome of how science and technology will change the world. Located west of Portland on the beautiful Oregon Coast, Near Space Corporation values innovation, teamwork, safety and offers an environment of growth and commitment. Specializing in the testing and maturing of space and aviation technologies, NSC has extensive experience providing relevant space like environments for maturing new technologies and testing concepts of operations using high altitude balloons and UAVs.
For over 25 years, we’ve been successfully operating as a small high-altitude ballooning company and more recently NSC began operating the Tillamook UAS Test Range, which is an instrumental piece of integrating manned and unmanned aircraft into the NAS. This is why we need you, the best of the best. If you enjoy aerospace, unmanned systems, and flight testing… you are in the right place! This is where ideas fly!
We are seeking an experienced Flight Test Engineer
As a UAS Flight Test Engineer, you solve problems by gathering information and evaluating options for department and company success. You are responsible for defining, planning, organizing, executing, and reporting complex flight test programs and events for unmanned systems, including both high-altitude balloons and small Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). Proficiency in structure, critical thinking, and planning is essential to being successful at NSC.
As a dynamic leader, you focus on testing aeronautical systems and associated avionics, and certification of flight systems. Your success is demonstrated through leading the execution of specific flight test activities through both personal support of test events and establishing effective test cards and procedures.
- Generates system level flight test plans and procedures, and supports or conducts ground and flight testing of UAS and high-altitude balloon systems
- Performs system level qualification, verification and validation activities to support testing of UAS hardware and software
- Coordinates technical issues with customers associated with flight test activities
- Supports integration of test articles with flight test resources to ensure timely and successful completion of test programs
- Derives and tracks flight test requirements and develops test plans
- Reports flight test activity in a variety of formats for internal and external customers
- Leads execution of flight test cards
- Assures proper documentation of technical data generated for assigned projects and /or tasks is consistent with engineering policies and procedures
- Leads internal design activities and technical decisions
- Manages and controls the engineering hours assigned to specific projects
Work Environment & Travel
This job operates in a professional aviation environment and position diversity varies between office, flight hangar, production floor, flight line, and field operations.
Safety is both a program and a value which plays an integral part of the NSC mission. Safety as a value is shared between management and employees and is evidenced by collective thinking, planning, actions, and accountability. A positive safety culture at NSC includes communication based on mutual trust, shared perceptions of the importance of safety, confidence in the effectiveness of preventive measures, and support from everyone at NSC. Prospective employees must be committed to upholding the highest level of safety performance to ensure that all activities meet national and world-class standards for employees and customers. This position may require up to 20% travel with extended work hours in the field in varying weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and is a medium work role.
1. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
2. Occasionally operates and moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, calculators, printers, etc.
3. Frequently ascends/descends stairs to perform essential functions.
4. Frequently communicates with internal and external partners and must be able to communicate thoughts clearly, document, remember information, and organize tasks.
5. Must be able to observe and assess company documents.
6. Occasionally extends hands and arms to access cabinets or essential objects.
7. Frequently performs motions of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers for typing, writing, etc.
8. Occasionally positions self to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl during flight operations.
9. Occasionally moves equipment weighing up to 50lbs.
10. Occasionally using upper extremities to press against something with steady force.
11. Occasionally using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
12. Occasionally exposed to dust, extreme temperatures, mechanical, chemical, electrical, and explosive hazards, and high-pressure gases.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering or related discipline
- 3+ years of operational or developmental flight test experience with unmanned systems
- Demonstrated expertise in systems engineering disciplines associated with an unmanned systems flight test program, including requirements definition, design reviews and documentation, and systems integration
- Understanding of C3 (command, control and communications), telemetry, and data acquisition systems
- Experience with autopilot systems (theory, integration, and operation)
- Familiarity with FAA regulations, Certificate of Authorization or Waiver (COA) process and aircraft certification procedures
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Must be legally authorized to work on the U.S. – unable to provide sponsorship
Preferred Education and Experience
- Knowledge of design of aeronautical systems, components, and materials
- Strong Aeronautics, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science skills
- Technical computing such as MatLab
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written (reports, procedures, presentations, proposals, etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity
NSC is an equal opportunity employer who focuses on building a culture where differences are valued. Our mission of leveraging new technology is achieved by embracing diversity and providing an inclusive workforce. NSC employment is based on competence, qualifications, merit, performance, and business need.
- Federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens. All persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity within three (3) days of being hired. Failure to submit such proof within the required time shall result in immediate employment termination.
- In connection with an application for employment and as a condition of continuing employment, investigative background inquiries may be made on including previous employers, schools, consumer credit, criminal convictions, motor vehicle, and other reports. These reports will include information as to character, work habits, performance, education, compensation, and experience along with reasons for termination of employment from previous employers. Furthermore, the company may be requesting information from various federal, state, and other agencies which maintain records concerning past activities relating to driving, credit, criminal, civil, and other experiences as well as claims involving the applicant in the files of insurance companies. In connection with your application, the applicant authorizes without reservation, any party or agency contacted to furnish the above-mentioned information and release all parties involved from liability and responsibility for doing so. You hereby consent to obtaining the above information from Near Space Corporation and/or any of their agents. This authorization and consent shall be valid in original, fax, or copy form.
- Near Space Corporation is a drug-free work place, we require all candidates for employment to submit to and successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen for the presence of illegal drugs and controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successfully completing the drug screen. Candidates who refuse to take the pre-employment drug screen will not be hired by Near Space Corporation.
- All hiring and employment at Near Space Corporation is at will. I understand this application is not an employment contract, nor can it be used to create one. Employment by Near Space Corporation has no specific term and may be terminated by the employee or Near Space Corporation with or without notice. I acknowledge that Near Space Corporation has not made any promises or representations that differ from those contained in this paragraph.
- I understand I must provide satisfactory documents to establish my identity and right to work in the United States, if I am offered a position with Near Space Corporation, and that failure to provide this evidence will result in the termination of my employment.
- I release and agree to hold harmless any individual, company, business institution or government agency from all liability with regard to furnishing information to Near Space Corporation. I agree to release and hold harmless Near Space Corporation from all liability with respect to the receipt of such information.
- I certify that the information I have furnished on this application form is true and complete. I understand that if any misrepresentation has been made by me verbally or in writing, any offer of employment made to me may be withdrawn or my subsequent employment with Near Space Corporation may be terminated.
- Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, retirement plan, and holiday pay.