SMS Engineering Ltd. is one of the largest independent consulting firms, overseeing projects from the pre-development and planning stages through to design and contract administration ensuring quality projects. Our engineering specialist team delivers award winning innovative solutions to built environments.
We pride ourselves in providing outstanding designs to our clients, and we value our employees. We work hard to make the workplace enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. We embrace a culture in which we never stop learning, enabling our employees to develop throughout their careers.
All of the key sectors within which we work are busy, especially healthcare and commercial projects. We are currently seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer or Technologist who will be responsible for leading electrical projects within all sectors in which we work.
The key responsibility of the applicant will be to lead electrical projects within the office. We are looking for problem solvers, who are ultimately motivated by ensuring our clients are well looked after and their technical needs are met. It is intended that well qualified candidates may develop towards the overall leadership of projects, and direct client interaction on a daily basis, in a technical and project management role. This is a senior role, and candidates will be expected to:
· Evaluate and design electrical systems including developing drawings and specifications in all fields of electrical design, including low/high voltage power, lighting, fire alarm, voice/data, security and systems. Engineers will be expected to seal design drawings and documents.
· Schedule, coordinate and lead engineering design teams and projects.
· Establish the needs of the client and coordinate with other disciplines and office personnel to ensure that these requirements are met.
· Select products, components, and applications by designing and conducting research and by applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
· Market and promote the services offered by SMS Engineering including the preparation of proposals and fee estimates.
· Assist, support and mentor of staff in the fundamentals of electrical design, calculations and preparation of construction documentation.
· Provide technical assistance and respond to contractor’s inquiries that relate to construction projects
· Prepare technical reports, construction cost estimates and conduct cost analysis
· Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for construction or maintenance
The role is intended for well qualified, senior candidates, and requires a self-starter with the following skills:
· Knowledge of local codes and standards including the Canadian Electrical Code and Manitoba Building Code.
· Team working and collaboration. The candidate will be able to work with fellow employees, clients, contractors and other design teams; including coordinating meetings.
· Strong organizational and time management skills including an understanding of project scheduling, including Gantt charts.
· Multi-tasking, prioritization and a proven track record of working in an extremely fast-paced environment.
· Ability to interface with multiple engineering disciplines, clients, staff and contractors while meeting deadlines, and delivering quality results within budget.
· Able to work independently and to represent the company at the highest levels.
· Financial performance management of projects.
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· A working knowledge of Microsoft office applications
Candidates will be able to travel within Manitoba, with some limited national and international travel possible.
Candidates will have at least 10-15 years of industry experience with a project and technical management background with the following qualifications:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or Diploma in Engineering.
- Licensed Manitoba Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Certified Engineering Technologist (CET).
SMS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer a friendly work environment, competitive salary and an excellent benefit package.
We thank all applicants for their interest in SMS Engineering, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Up to $95,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
All employees are required to wear a mask that is provided by the firm.
Sanitation of desk area are cleaned regularly.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Electrical engineering: 8 years (Required)
- license as a Registered Professional Engineer in Manitoba (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place