The Sr. Mechanical Engineer works closely with Product, Program and Engineering Management to perform engineering activities that refine product requirements, product definition and other product development activities. The individual is responsible for modifying or developing new products and/or processes that meet system requirements. In addition, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer collaborates with internal and external resources to resolve manufacturing interruptions to achieve organization objectives.
The individual shall possess a BS Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
The individual shall possess 3-5 years of hands-on experience in an engineering product development team environment and 0-3 years of experience working in a system engineering environment. Experience generating Solidworks Models, performing simulations and familiarization with Military/Commercial Specifications are required. Experience working at an aerospace, leading commercial or AS9100 company is a plus. The individual shall have practical knowledge and experience engineering mechanical or and/or pneumatic systems to meet defined requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Desire to lead small technical activities and work well within teams
- Ability to create and understand engineering drawings, system specifications and technical reports
- Strong computer skills using Solidworks solid modeling, FEA and Flow simulation and Product Data Management (PDM) engineering tools as well as office tools for word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, database, project management and electronic mail applications
- Ability to decompose and flow down system performance and functional requirements
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, results-driven and possess exceptional communication skills
- Ability to manage the creation of 3D CAD model concepts and production ready tooling models.
- Possess a technical understanding of mechanical, pneumatic and electromechanical systems.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, manage multiple projects and lead small teams, make technical decisions within the scope of the instructions, and produce consistent, accurate timely work.
- Familiarity with the disciplines of Systems Engineering, Integration and Product Qualification
- Discipline to follow NPD procedures for Design Reviews, Inputs/Outputs, stages and gates to ensure customer and company requirements are met.
- Voice of the Customer
- Provide technical support to Sales and Marketing and Business Development as requested.
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to Product Management for issues identified by customers.
- Serve as the technical liaison between external and internal customers.
- Assist with proposal development efforts for potential new development projects and programs.
- Systems Design and Development
- Develop technical requirements for system development and product specifications.
- Develop trade studies and analysis to support proposed design decisions/solutions.
- Develop designs using engineering standard practices and current 3D CAD/CAE techniques.
- Define and develop detailed engineering drawing packages.
- Work to established project/program schedules
- Configuration Management
- Generate, Review and Approve ECRs and ECOs for completeness and accuracy while assuring all related documents are revised as required and part dispositions correctly identified.
- Test and Verification
- Manage the fabrication, evaluation, and testing of prototype designs.
- Create and review engineering reports documenting product testing and failure investigation.
- Create engineering test plans and reports for product verification and validation.
- Continuous Improvement
- Provide support to the Process Manufacturing and Quality Departments to resolve in-house production problems and supplier issues relating to product performance and quality attainment.
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to current design and manufacturing practices.
- Perform all assigned tasks in accordance with established company ISO 9001/AS 9100 procedures and work instructions.
- Provide input for Engineering Department’s CAPEX and expense budget as requested.
- Complete other duties as directed by Management.
Gentex’s Rancho Cucamonga facility is in Rancho Cucamonga, CA is a city of about 177,000 residents located just south of the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and Angeles National Forest in San Bernardino County, California, United States. About 37 miles east of Downtown Los Angeles, Rancho Cucamonga is the 19th most populous city in southern California and the 27th state-wide. The city's seal, which centers on a cluster of grapes, alludes to the city's agricultural history including winemaking. Also, the Ontario Reign Hockey and Quakers Baseball teams are located 20 minutes from the Rancho Cucamonga location.
At Gentex, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Gentex Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status or based on disability. Gentex is an E-Verify Participant. Pre-employment drug/alcohol/background screening is required. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Gentex, please call our Human Resources department at (570) 282-3550.