OPTO International, Inc.
Design Engineer - Millwork
OPTO is a fast-paced, constantly-growing retail store fixture manufacturing company selling to the retail industry. We believe in relentlessly communicating, both internally and to our customers, in an effort to constantly improve ourselves. We are obsessively focused on helping our clients be successful, which in turn makes us successful.
OPTO employs joined-up, responsive and adaptive people who work hard as a tight team. We have first-class marketing and a design-led customer sales interface focused on fully understanding and guiding each customer to be successful through the purchase of our product. The product itself is high-quality, customizable, durable, and built from inventory-based components. This gives us industry-leading speed and reliability in execution, which in turn gives our customers the confidence to make us business partners for years to come.
The Millwork Engineer will work within OPTO’s component driven modular based store fixture system to expand and develop cost effective design solutions for standard and custom applications. Will work closely with members of the design team to create unique solutions for the client. This 'design’ then needs to be detailed and adapted to suit OPTO’s comprehensive in-house and sourced manufacturing processes. The engineer will provide detailed CAD data to allow the manufacturing group to produce the items within their capabilities and the customer’s timeline and costs. The Design Engineer will also be responsible for carrying out the duties of the Engineering department, including design, research, prototyping, engineering documentation, and process improvement.
- Critical eye for design aesthetic as well as function
- Produce fixture designs, drawings, and renderings as required for customer review using the corporate standards for engineering/drawing modeling
- Incorporate engineered, efficient, best practice methods in the design/detail of drawings
- Find, source, develop information and details for efficient production resulting in excellent quality for product development
- Create assembly & installation drawings for production and client
- Interact regularly with production/manufacturing to ensure design/production flow
- Create Bills o f Materials for all manufactured products
- Define and execute timely production scope of in-house manufactured and sub-contracted manufactured items
- Maintain/update all revisions t o B.O.M.s
- Prioritize cost savings throughout all processes, offering value engineering suggestions and ensuring w e are not compromising cost of quality
- Intimately involved in the assembly of prototypes
- Follow any other instructions and perform any other duties as requested by manager
Required Technical Skills
- Associate’s degree or higher in design or engineering field of study or equivalent (ten years of experience may substitute for education). A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- 5+ years experience as a Design Engineer in a wood manufacturing environment, store fixture industry preferred
- Extensive understanding of manufacturing techniques in cabinetry, wood materials and joining techniques, laminating processes, and cabinet hardware
- Experience with manufacturing techniques in sheet metal, metal fabrication, metal and aluminum machining, aluminum die casting and extruding a plus
- Knowledge of multi-materials including wood, metal, plastics, glass, etc.
- Proficiency working with 3D solid modeling is required, preferably Autodesk Inventory
- Exposure to other Autodesk software including AutoCAD and Vault
- Working understanding of ERP software
- Ability to express oneself professionally utilizing both verbal and written communications
- Ability to problem-solve quickly and effectively
- Ability to produce under pressure of timelines and customer demands
- Ability to prioritize and work independently to work on multiple small projects simultaneously ensuring all key dates are met while maintaining the highest level of quality
Required Personal Skills
- Ability to communicate quickly, clearly, and effectively across multiple departments;
- Confidently interact with customers, peers, and cross functional teams
- Ability to work successfully in a strong team environment
- Excellent communicator
- Superior organizational skills
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate on Education and Experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
We strictly follow all CDC guidelines.
- Design Engineer: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location