Charter Communications is America’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products. Charter is at the intersection of technology and entertainment, facilitating essential communications that connect 24 million residential and business customers in 41 states. Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of Charter’s business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our 90,000 employees.
The Advanced Engineering department resides in the Charter Technical Engineering Center (CTEC) facilities in Englewood, CO and oversees the design and architecture of Charter’s multi-billion dollar network infrastructure. We investigate, select, develop, and integrate technologies and solutions that meet the needs of the company for short, medium and long term initiatives. This includes the delivery of the technology plan and future architecture for Voice, Video, Data, Optical, Commercial, Cloud, CPE, Network and Access.
Essential Job Functions:
Charter Communications is looking for a well-qualified Commercial Video Engineer-III to engineer cutting-edge video solutions to be used for our Spectrum Enterprise customers. The role will require end-to-end knowledge of video services from acquisition to play-out, including control and provisioning mechanisms. Conditional Access, Linear Services, Video On Demand, Emergency Alert Service, Data Carousels, QAM, Packaging, and CDNs will all be necessary centers of knowledge for this role.
The Commercial Video Engineer-III role, within Charter’s Advanced Engineering organization, will work closely with other engineers and managers from various departments, including product management, QA lab, and operations. This position will require collaboration with your team, and others, to design, validate, and document new end-to-end video solutions serving commercial customers in areas, such as Small Business, Small to Medium Business, Hospitality, and Enterprise.
Success in this position requires that you be self-motivated to learn, find answers, and solve problems. Your expertise should include some, or all, of the following: Video Encoding, Packaging & Transport, Conditional Access Systems, Video On Demand, Emergency Alert Systems, QAM Modulation, Distributed Access Architectures, DOCSIS, Digital Rights Management, Content Delivery Networks, and best practices with those technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Willingness to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to self-manage time and priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to create elaborate and detailed video system diagrams
- Ability to create detailed test plans and methods of procedure
- Understanding of change management best practices in production environments
- Systems administration experience with operating systems, including CentOS, RHEL, Windows Server
- Knowledge of virtualization platforms such as VMWare
- Knowledge of system monitoring and logging tools
- Knowledge of Cisco and Arris Headend environments and CAS systems
- Knowledge of modern cable service delivery networks utilizing HFC, RFoG, and FTTx technologies
- Knowledge of common cable CPE
Education and Experience:
- Cable Expert
- SCTE, NCTI Certifications
- Industry recognized OS, Networking, Security, or Virtualization Certifications
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year College or university; or equivalent training, education and experience.
- The physical demands for this position are typical to an office environment and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to work in a data center environment (can be noisy due to fans/cooling and temperature controlled to a different temperature then a normal office environment).