- Bachelor's degree
- Associate's degree
- High school diploma or GED
- Hazardous Waste Operations & Emergency Response Training
- Driver's License
- OSHA 30
- Writing skills
- Supervising experience
POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Public Works Manager
The Public Works Manager position is based in St. Paul Island, Alaska.
Regular Appointment, Full-Time
This position works under the direct supervision of the Public Works Director and may take functional direction from the
City Manager. This position is responsible for assisting the Public Works Director with the direct supervision of Public
Works employees in the Maintenance and Operations and Motor Pool Divisions; and the Bulk Fuel, Electric, Water,
Sewer, and Refuse Utilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following are essential job functions of Public Works Manager:
1. Plans, directs, supervises and coordinates the activities and functions of the Public Works Department.
2. Supervises all employees in the Electric and Bulk Fuel Utilities and may supervise employee in other utilities and
Public Works divisions.
3. Meets with the Public Works Director regularly to discuss department activities and statistics.
4. Directs the planning and conduct of training programs for departmental personnel.
5. Serves at the Public Works Director as needed.
6. Reviews the time and cost estimates prepared by employees for maintenance projects.
7. Provides assistance in the conduct of routine and non-routine Public Works maintenance operations.
8. Reviews, approves and signs internal documentation, including time sheets, leave requests, work orders and
purchase requisitions. Notes changes if needed.
9. Records activities and comments on handwritten reports and other documentation to be typed by administrative
10. Serves as an expert in public works issues and advises management on issues within field of expertise.
11. Provides data to Public Works Director and City Manager for required progress reports.
12. Supervises and monitors the maintenance and use of all City equipment.
13. Maintains working relationships with engineers, contractors, and consultants working on public works related
projects for the City.
14. Receives and investigates complaints against the Department or its personnel and takes appropriate action.
15. Performs other activities as required or as directed by the Public Works Director.
1. Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
2. High school diploma or GED.
3. Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred.
4. Must possess a valid Alaska Driver’s License. Must have a clean driving record.
5. Must be a team player.
6. Must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
7. Ability to adapt to varying work sites and tasks.
www.stpaulak.com | PO Box 901, St. Paul Island, Alaska 99660 | 907.546.3110
8. Knowledge of or ability to learn relevant codes and safety regulations.
9. Ability to perform simple mathematical calculations.
10. Three (3) or more years of experience with power plant, electric utility, and bulk fuel operations.
11. Six (6) or more years of experience in the management and supervision of employees.
12. Six (6) or more years of experience in project management, with ability to use computers and software to manage
13. Ability to lift and carry an excess of 50 pounds.
14. Ability to interpret and comprehend manuals, memos, instructions, regulations, safety warnings, logs, charts and
other documents in handwritten and typed form. Interpret and comprehend equipment readings.
15. Use computer and related software applications.
16. Must abide by the City of Saint Paul’s alcohol and drug free work-place policies and submit to a pre-employment
17. Possess FEMA ICS 100, 200, 700, 800 certificates.
18. Possess current First Aid/CPR certification.
19. Possess OSHA 30 Hour.
20. Possess 40-Hour HAZWOPER.
21. Other combinations of education and experience which could provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed will
be evaluated on an individual basis.
WAGE AND BENEFITS:
This is a salaried position ranging from $69,405 to $76,610 per year, depending on education, experience, and skills.
Standard City of Saint Paul benefits per City ordinance.
RELOCATION AND HOUSING:
A relocation allowance will be provided. Airfare to St. Paul Island will be provided. Housing accommodations will be
made available residential rates.
This position is open until filled. Apply at the City of Saint Paul during normal business hours by completing a resume
and Application for Employment or by requesting and completing a resume and Application for Employment
electronically. Applicants with incomplete applications will not be considered for the position. For an Application for
Employment, Job Description, or more information contact Monique Baker, City Clerk at email@example.com or at
Posted February 17, 2020