The principal activity will be to conduct, under the supervision of senior personnel, vehicle dynamics modeling, simulation, and analysis of systems and sub systems for current and next generation commercial and military ground vehicles. Vehicle dynamics modeling tasks, under the supervi sion of senior personnel, will consist of development of virtual models to represent designs or existing vehicles, simulation setup, simulation conduct, analysis of results, and to support adjustment and validation of the models through proving ground test. Vehicle systems requiring modeling and simulation include: chassis, suspension, steering, power train, brakes. These individuals will be involved in the development and analysis of components, systems, and/or complete vehicles. Projects include modifications and improvements to existing vehicles, as well as development and evaluation (virtual and real world) of complete vehicle prototypes.
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners, through personal commitment.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization.
1. Closely work with a senior modeling and simulation engineer to advance skillset and provide assistance with modeling and simulation tasks.
2. Development of virtual vehicle and subsystem models
- Physical measurements of existing vehicles and subsystems using scanners and other measurement devices.
- Create test plans for quantification of sub-components and conduct tests, i.e. measurement of bushing force-deflection curves. Process data to develop lookup table files.
- Measurement of CAD hard points and other outputs (component mass, mass moments of inertia etc.) to support virtual vehicle modeling. Exporting CAD files, integration of geometry into the modeling and simulation environment
- Definition of hard points, connections, kinematics, mass properties, and vehicle components (engine, struts, tires, track systems etc.).
3. Setup virtual vehicle test runs
- Setup of vehicle model parameterized values-weight, CG, tire pressure, driveline locks, track tension etc.
- Course definition-topography, path, soil conditions.
- Modification of driver controller to maintain selected path.
4. Simulation conduct
- Selection of solver settings.
- Debugging of failed runs.
- Creation of batch files to allow overnight runs.
5. Analysis and presentation of results
- Utilization of data processing tools within the modeling and simulation software suite, and scripts developed by NATC for data processing.
- Exporting of data for further analysis, or transfer to data processing personnel.
- Processing of data using excel, or other commercial data processing tools.
- Creation of graphs, video clips, and photos for reports.
6. Report development and review.
7. Task management and status briefings.
8. Other duties as assigned.
1. Perform or observe tests in the field in extreme temperature and/or environmental conditions to support modeling and simulation efforts.
2. Operate Company vehicles in support of test operations.
3. Support prototype equipment build.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering, related field, or equivalent work experience combined with college degree in associated field.
2. Strong interpersonal skills.
3. Experience with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
4. Strong organizational and time management skills.
5. Strong verbal and written communication skills to support field reports/briefings.
6. Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects.
7. Must possess or be able to obtain a current Nevada Driver’s License and maintain a good driving record.
1. Master's degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering
2. Knowledge of automotive fundamentals and vehicle systems
3. Experience with Pro/ENGINEER or similar modeling software packages
4. Experience with 3D scanning tools and software for generating point clouds, surface models, and parametric CAD geometry.
5. Experience with ADAMS, DADS, or similar dynamic analysis software packages
6. Experience with Nastran or similar general purpose FEA software packages
7. Familiar with Dytran, LS-DYNA, or similar software packages for analyzing complex nonlinear behavior
8. Experience with Matlab and Simulink
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors
This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee's employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.
Job Type: Full-time