Cornerstone Building Brands is the largest manufacturer of exterior building products in North America. Our comprehensive portfolio spans the breadth of the residential and commercial markets, while our expansive footprint enables us to serve customers and communities across North America. Our relentless focus on excellence combined with our ongoing commitment to innovation and R&D has driven us to become the #1 manufacturer of windows, vinyl siding, insulated metal panels, metal roofing and wall systems, and metal accessories. We believe every building we create, and every part of that building, positively contributes to communities where people live, work and play.
The product development engineer will lead and support the product development initiatives from concept to launch, in collaboration with the product manager. This position will drive new product development using a stage gate process.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Design and develop product ideas based on product specification that addresses customer needs.
- Conduct reverse engineering and analysis of competing products.
- Participate in voice of customer sessions and product specification development.
- Lead prototype development with relevant vendor or manufacturing partners.
- Perform engineering and failure mode analysis of new product.
- Lead design for manufacturability and assembly/installation.
- Lead design reviews.
- Lead testing and certification efforts of new product.
- Support system and configuration engineering implementation of new product, including but not limited to developing model or detail drawings of assemblies or parts, and creating installation instruction or schematics.
- In collaboration with product and brand manager, support the commercialization of new product.
- Manage projects from concept through testing and drive them to completion.
- Provide engineering support to Product Management, service, and local assembly plant operations departments.
- 5+ years of experience designing mechanical systems or equivalent mechanical assembly design.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering; Master’s degree in mechanical engineering is a plus.
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks and other applicable design software.
- Experience with component or assembly level FEA utilizing Autodesk Inventor Nastran, Simulation Solutions or other applicable FEA software.
- Experience working with sheet metal fabrication (cutting, roll forming, bending and welding) is a plus.
- Experience working with PUR/PIR foam panel system is a plus.
- Proven mechanical design capabilities with consideration for bending, shear, torsion, & buckling
- Ability to work independently to complete multi-discipline development projects.
- Proven project management skill and cross-functional communication; experience with Stage Gate Process a plus.
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
Cornerstone Building Brands is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.