Auto req ID:
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
ATO – Systems Engineer is responsible for railway embedded control software architectural design, the use of UML/SysML to document the systems and subsystems, as well as other engineering activities to support the development and the deployment of the products. The Systems Engineer reports to the Director of ATO Software Engineering and will balance speed, quality, and cost effectiveness requirements from the customer and the business.
Key Job Elements
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the assigned software components;
- Design and deploy railway systems in operation both in the United States and abroad with travel of up to 30%;
- Work with the team to create solutions to the most important and meaningful technical problems as they relate to control systems;
- Collaborate with others to craft a vision for the architecture of the platform, devise a roadmap for evolving the current platform toward the future, and working directly with engineers to drive the implementation;
- Assess the value of new technologies;
- Reports to the Director of Software Engineering and works closely with the different engineering group to deploy practical and highly functional systems for railways.
Education / Training
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering, software engineering, from an ABET accredited university or college.
Qualifications and Experience
- 1-3 years experience in systems design and development, software development, Linux infrastructures, database, as well as programming and/or scripting languages;
- Proven experience developing strategic system architecture plans using UML/SysML;
- Extensive experience in system and network creation and development;
- *nix Environments– knowledge and experience with Unix/Linux platforms performing as functional embedded systems;
- Embedded systems– knowledge and experience with development of highly functional embedded systems;
- Proven experience identifying, analyzing and resolving system problems;
- Control systems- knowledge and experience with development of Control Systems;
- Computer servers– Be familiar with DNS, file servers, mail servers and NAS equipment;
- Networking– Be familiar with computer networking, LAN and WAN switches, security;
- Conversant in software design and implementation;
- Solid understanding of information processing fundamentals and best practices;
- Above-average analytical, conceptual and troubleshooting abilities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience conducting technology, trends, standards and products research;
- Self-starter, willing to take on whatever tasks are necessary to facilitate the design, implementation and testing of the systems;
- Solid track record in prioritizing and executing tasks when under pressure;
- Ability to function extremely well as a team member, at times conceding personal preferred solutions to those that make business, functional and strategic sense.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
- Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities