Embedded Communications Engineer
$89,419 - $132,239
Sceye Inc. is changing how the world will be connected by creating a stratospheric platform designed for long-endurance missions whilst holding an accurate position. Sceye is currently seeking a full-time Embedded Communications Engineer who will be responsible for designing the communications systems to integrate into the payload system of the High-Altitude Platform Station. This position reports to the Senior Software Engineering Manager. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
What You Will Do
The Communications Engineer will partner with team to design, develop and integrate radio equipment for integration into the lighter-than-air stratospheric platform that will provide wireless communication between the HAPS Operator and the station.
- RF analysis, system design and integration.
- Design, develop and integrate a satellite-based communication system.
- Install, configure and maintain radio communications components (air and ground); troubleshoot any system failures and performance deficiencies.
- Analyse and document anticipated system performance.
- Spectrum coordination with federal agencies for testing and flights.
- Filing applications with the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) and AFTRCC.
- Test the performance and collaborate with appropriate staff to modify design to improve system performance and quality.
- Create and execute test plans for responsible systems.
- Create test harnesses to ab testing.
- Manage vendors providing support for projects.
- Provide in-field support for systems, with travel to launch locations.
- Develop, document and track communications system requirements.
- Develop, document and track camera system requirements.
- Develop updates to ground stations based on communication systems designs.
- Design, develop and integrate camera systems on HAPS platform.
- Test performance of the camera system and mitigate issues.
- Comply with safety and/or regulatory compliance as it relates to HAPS.
- Provide project status to management.
What You Need
The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in the following areas:
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience designing communication systems.
- Demonstrated ability to write software programs for communication systems and integration. Programming in C, C++ on bare metal and Linux.
- Demonstrated use of spectrum analyzers and power meters.
- Previous experience working with link budgets.
- Experience analyzing and documenting bandwidth usage.
- Experience programming for low bandwidth radio systems.
- Experience in programming for Ethernet applications with UDP/TCP unicast and multicast.
- Knowledge of safe operations of RF equipment. Using RF meters to demonstrate safe operations.
- Demonstrated use of RF test equipment such as RF switches, analyzers, and power meters.
- Demonstrated ability in interfacing with devices via Ethernet, RS-232, RS-422, and CAN.
- Experience creating Interface Control Documents.
- Demonstrated ability in Python programming.
- Demonstrated ability in Linux BASH programming.
- Experience in working in a Linux only environment. Knowledge of working with SSH.
- Demonstrated ability to use version control (git).
- Previous experience with using an issue tracking system.
- Demonstrated use of oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and logic analyzers.
- Demonstrated use of power supplies and DC electronics loads for testing systems.
- Previous experience troubleshooting communication systems.
- Knowledge of ESD principles and protocols.
- Knowledge of CAN and previous experience writing software to interface with CAN devices.
- Demonstrated ability to use Wireshark/tcp dump for analysis and debugging.
- Demonstrated experience working with devices that emit and receive radio waves.
- Ability to use Solidworks to make create/modify assemblies and create drawings to share with manufacturing.
- Experience working with manufacturing to build designed system to specification
- Experience creating documentation to describe installation and operations of systems.
- Ability to use a schematic capture tool such as OrCad to capture system schematics.
- Ability to use hand tools, soldering equipment to fabricate harnesses to be used during testing.
- Strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills to design and troubleshoot issues.
- Excellent communication skills; oral, documentation, and presentation.
- Experience working and thriving on a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment with competing resources and priorities.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to robust quality solutions.
- Previous experience with lighter than air applications preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with command control and telemetry for unmanned systems preferred.
- Experience with spectrum coordination.
- Experience in using Google Earth Pro for display of information.
- GUI Programming using QT or JS.
- Previous experience with satellite communications systems such as Iridium.
- Previous experience working with cantools on Linux.
- Previous experience working with D38999 connectors.
- Aerospace industry experience strongly preferred.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or electronics engineering or related field. Relevant experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- A minimum of 4 years proven experience.
- Previous experience in an aerospace environment is preferred.
Where you Will Work
Sceye is based at a state-of-the-art facility at the airport in Moriarty, NM – an easy commute from Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and the small mountain towns of the Sandia Range. Office perks include a workout area, shower facilities, pickleball court, outdoor dog kennel, and a break area with complimentary snacks and beverages. Company lunches are provided daily by our executive chef.
Sceye Inc is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $89,419.00 - $132,239.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
Sceye currently has a Surveillance Testing and Contact Tracing Agreement with the State of New Mexico and has implemented Covid-19 safety practices that align with the NM Department of Health Public Health and Executive Orders.
- Communications Engineering: 4 years (Required)