Recreation Programmer-Seasonal | Parks & Recreation—Recreation | REQ 710-1
Job Family: Seasonal
Posting Start Date: 02/20/2019 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: $16.79 – $26.83 per hour
Hours: Various Hours, Days, Weekends and Holidays.
MUST APPLY AT WWW.WORKFORWACO.COM TO BE CONSIDERED
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, performs a variety of activities in support of City recreation programs for the Parks and Recreation (P&R) Department; supervises staff and assists with the supervision of individual and team sports, events, classes, special programs and recreational activities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organizes, leads and promotes assigned City recreation programs, including special adult’s and children’s activities, recreation and skills classes, senior services, special events, holiday productions, community activities and sports programs; sets up recreation sites and facilities for events and scheduled programs; duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Organizes recreation activities, supervises program participants and enforces rules, regulations and safety precautions at indoor and outdoor facilities; maintains discipline, monitors behavior and resolves issues.
- Supervises the use of recreation facilities, equipment and materials; monitors program activities, assists participants in recreation activities and requests supplies as needed.
- Reports and resolves complaints, requests, safety conditions, security issues and illegal activities; assures activities are in compliance with all laws, policies, regulations and goals.
- Schedules recreation venues for activities and events; purchases and allocates equipment, materials and other assets; supervises and coaches participants; verifies equipment and facilities are maintained in clean and safe condition.
- Coordinates and promotes program activities with general public and community organizations.
- May act as sports/recreation leader, coach and referee for organized recreational activities; determines appropriateness of activities for juveniles; communicates and enforces rules, safety standards and good sportsmanship requirements.
- Monitors recreation program venues and facilities, identifies and reports conditions needing repairs.
- Evaluates programs for effectiveness and participation levels, recommends new programs and program changes; tracks services provided and monitors results; compiles operational data for reports.
- Supervises, instructs and trains staff, monitors work, develops staff skills and evaluates performance.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Driving is an essential function of the job.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
City policies and procedures.
Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of public recreation programs.
Purpose, use and benefits of municipal recreational programs and activities.
Legal liabilities and responsibilities for recreation services staff.
Local community resources and regional community services programs.
Accounting and budgeting practices in a municipal government agency.
Coordinating municipal recreation programs and operations.
Interpreting and explaining federal and state rules and regulations and City policies and procedures.
Developing recommendations for improvements of athletics programs and facilities.
Promoting and enforcing safe work practices.
Promoting athletics and recreational programs in the community.
Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with employees, officials, other community services agencies and the general public.
Analyzing problems, resolving disputes and grievances and developing effective solutions.
Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Associate’s Degree in Parks & Recreation, Business or Public Administration, or related field is required; AND two years of Parks & Recreation program experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Depending on the needs of the recreation center assigned to, may require bilingual testing and certification.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $16.79 to $26.83 /year
- Parks & Recreation program: 2 years (Preferred)