The purpose of this class is to perform semi-skilled activities related to utility locating. This class works independently and uses judgment to accurately locate water and wastewater lines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Locates utility pathways for the Water and Sewer Department using electronic sensors to pinpoint the precise location of underground utilities; marks water and wastewater lines with paint and/or flags by use of utility maps, as-built drawings, geographic information system (GIS) information and various electronic locating equipment.
- Operates a personal computer as necessary to complete essential functions, to include KorWeb Software, location data, and e-mail; submits completed work orders via computer.
- Communicates with supervisor, other departments, co-workers, contractors, developers, engineers, utility companies, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information and resolve problems.
- Reports damaged water and sewer services as they are found.
- Fixes broken or backed up sewer lines.
- Verifies field information and notifies supervisor regarding updates or corrections that need to be further investigated.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance from customers and the general public regarding areas of responsibility.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, methods, and procedures of underground utilities.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED.
Requires at least one (1) year of related work experience.
Must possess a valid state driver's license.
For more information on Dorchester County Government please view the information below: https://www.dorchestercounty.net/index.aspx?page=227 Benefits for County EmployeesCounty Employees may be eligible for a variety of State benefits associated with their employment. From a comprehensive health and dental insurance program, to generous annual and sick leave policies, to a solid and secure retirement system. Healthcare Benefits(Full-time employees)Dorchester County is a part of the State Benefits Program. The State program offers its employees a comprehensive health and dental program, along with a wide array of supplemental insurance programs. South Carolina has long been committed to providing its employees the best possible insurance benefits at the greatest possible value. We've maintained that commitment, too, even in the face of healthcare costs that continue to soar. You may refer to the link for more information.www.eip.sc.gov/ Retirement BenefitsIn addition to our health and dental insurance programs, all county employees are a part of the South Carolina Retirement System. These programs are designed to help provide county employees secure retirement alternatives that will best meet their needs. You may refer to the link for more information. http://www.retirement.sc.gov/ Workplace BenefitsIn addition, county employees may be eligible for other benefits, such as holidays, annual leave, and sick leave. Note: The above benefits are available to most county employees, with the exception of those in temporary positions. Employees in temporary grant and time-limited positions may be eligible for all, some, or none of these benefits based on the benefits associated with each position. For these positions, please contact the hiring agency to determine what benefits may be available for the particular position.