May 22, 2020
Title: Chief Engineer
Location: Audio Research, Maple Grove, MN
Reports to: President/CEO
Audio Reseach Corporation (ARC) - www.audioresearch.com - designs, develops, produces, markets, and sells some of the most sought after hi-end audio electronics in the world. Leveraging our 50 year history, ARC is known to be one of the top brands in the Hi-End Audio (Audiophile) market world-wide. With a focus on Tube (Valve) electronics and a ‘Made-in-America’ value proposition, we design and build all our products - by hand - in our brand new 20,000 ft2 Maple Grove, MN facility. We are a small, dedicated team of 25+ passionate individuals driven to build fame for our brand across the world.
Audio Research is part of the McIntosh Group, Inc. The McIntosh Group is the premier world-wide hi-end audio corporation consisting of a family of well respected brands McIntosh Labs (Binghamton, NY), Sonus faber (Vicenza, Italy), Sumiko (Maple Grove, MN), and Audio Research Corporation (Maple Grove, MN).
We offer a very competitive salary and benefits package including comprehensive insurance, paid-time-off, and a 401K retirement savings program. We are an equal opportunity employee.
Position Overview: We are seeking a passionate Audiophile who lives and breaths hi-end audio to be our Chief Engineer. The Chief Engineer will be a hands-on engineer who will lead a small team to design, develop, launch, and support Hi-End 2-channel audio electronics for ARC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a cross-functional team of ~5 staff through all the product lifecycle phases
- Provide technical direction, coaching, and mentorship
- Ensure team achieves goals for new product introductions - performance, cost, quality, and timeliness
- Set priorties and provide day-to-day work priorities to ensure competing demands are achieved
- Coordinate the tasks with engineering team, outside consultants, purchasing, and operations to ensure efficient and effective execution of projects
- Design audio products (Amplifiers, Pre-Amplifiers, Integrated Amps, Phono, DAC, CD, Network Players, etc)
- Create schematics, BOM, & PCB Layout using Altium CAD package
- Lead digital audio design (DACs, CODECs, USB, Ethernet, DLNA)
- Integrate 3rd party technologies (ROON, MQA, Streaming Audio)
- Integrate wireless technologies (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, RF)
- Troubleshoot and maintain embedded software for FPGA (Lattice) and Microcontrollers (ATMEL AVR / 32B ARM) and communication protocals (RS-232)
- Optimize design, materials, and components for audio quality
- Lead firmware development (I2S, S/PDIF) for communication and controls and integrate 3rd party DSP.
- Collaborate with Design team to design and develop mechanical packages. Conduct thermal analysis.
- Establish product design process, design reviews, utilize DFT / DFM / DFA rules
- Ensure all engineering documentation is released formally and change control is maintained via ECN process
- Collaborate with operations and procurement to provide all supporting documentation for manufacturing and suppliers.
Product Testing & Certification
- Lead the certification process for Safety, EMI/EMC, & Packaging with outside vendors and consutants
- Develop & execute a validation plan to ensure the product meets all performance objectives and is fully functional prior to SOP.
- Establish and implement production test processes and methods to ensure outgoing product quality in maintained.
- Collaborate with customer service, procurement, and operations to solve problems and make design changes to correct issues found in the factory during production and/or by our customers during use.
- Actively participate in the company’s LEAN and 5S initiatives to drive efficiency and effectiveness in everything we do.
Education & Experience
- BSEE from an accredited engineering program is required. MSEE preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in electrical product development. Hi-End audio product development preferred.
- 5+ years of PCB Layout experience. Altium E-CAD software preferred.
- 5+ years of experience managing people.
- Self-Starter with a bias for action
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional teams
- Effective communication skills – written and verbal
- Strong project management skills – phase gate product development experience
- Problem Solving and Decision-Making skills
- Strong computer skills – MS Office
Travel – there will be minimal travel. Possible 1-2 weeks per year.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $125,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Electrical Product Develeopment: 10 years (Preferred)
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible