Full-time position based in Pasadena, CA
OffWorld is a fourth-year robotics startup working on developing an intelligent robotic workforce for heavy industrial jobs on Earth, Moon, asteroids & Mars. OffWorld was founded by an experienced engineering team drawing on decades of tackling formidable engineering challenges at NASA, ESA, SSL/MDA, CERN, Reaction Engines, SAFRAN, Surrey Satellites, and Cisco. OffWorld’s first challenge is developing and maturing a modular robotic system for mining on Earth--our robots will go deeper underground than human miners can eliminate the need for humans to work in life-threatening underground environments and dramatically reduce the environmental footprint and cost of mining.
We have designed a modular robotic architecture that focuses on maximizing the commonality and reusability across components for fast deployment and optimization. Our robotic systems combine sensory information with cutting edge machine learning (ML) for control and decision making. We are currently looking for a Robotics Field Test Engineer who will be responsible for performing robotic operations oversight in our field sites, including green fields, open pit, and underground mines. You will be supporting the testing and operational optimization of a modular robotic platform for deployment in extreme environments. The platform will integrate different modular components for different applications, of which you will be responsible for system-level testing and in some cases unit level testing from the ground up. You will work with the mechatronics, software & controls and machine learning engineers to validate and improve the autonomous operation of the robotic platform. For your first assignment, you will play a key role in the testing and operation of a mining robotic prototype that will be deployed in a deep underground mine overseas.
For this role, you should be comfortable teleoperation and troubleshooting robotic software systems, and have experience developing and/or operating robotic software including in the Python and ROS environment. Familiarity with data analysis and test debugging is required. Working knowledge to operate and maintain mechanical, electronic and electro-mechanical components and interfaces is desired. You should be comfortable working on the field with heavy-duty robotic systems or machines, where safety is paramount. Experience working in underground environments is highly desired.
To hit the ground running, you need:
In a nutshell, we offer:
- BSc or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics or equivalent with at least 3 years of robotics testing experience
- Practical experience with robotics integration and testing. Experience in the design and implementation of firmware and software components, and/or mechanical, power & electronics systems for EVs, drones or robots (past industry position or internship is a plus
- Experience with field testing complex machines or robotic systems in particular in extreme environments (mines, infrastructure tunneling, large construction sites)
- Knowledge of ROS, Python and C++ programming, data processing and visualization; machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning is a plus
- Familiarity with CAD/SolidWorks, Embedded Software, Assembly, PCB layout, Matlab, LabView or equivalent
- Nothing-is-impossible attitude
- Opportunity to sink your teeth into cutting edge industrial robotics problems
- Opportunity to contribute to the mission of transforming how we mine on Earth today and how we will one day mine on the Moon, asteroids & Mars
- Opportunity to attend relevant conferences in the line of research
- Competitive package
- Offer to join the OffWorld team full-time--if
- You are as crazy-excited about the mission as we are
- You’ve demonstrated you are The Right Stuff