Develop web applications and enterprise services using Java and/or JVM-based languages. Support, maintain, and enhance existing web applications and enterprise services. Integrate in-house developed software with both internal and external software services. Provide development support for other deployed applications. Participate in testing and quality assurance activities.
Compensation: $70,000 - $95,000 DOE
Responsibilities: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)*
- Design, develop and enhance software systems according to technical design documentation and business requirements.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, improve performance, enhance functionality, and test new designs and ideas.
- Work with teams in an agile environment to deliver projects in a timely manner.
- Consult with customers and stakeholders on technical issues such as software development, system maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Participate in the installation and testing of software systems and integrations.
- Monitor production software to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Participate in experimental projects and share learning with team members and business leaders.
- Receive training as necessary and create long-term personal development goals.
- Miscellaneous tasks as directed.
Qualifications: POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and also writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Reliability – Ability to be dependable and trustworthy.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Project Management - Ability to organize and direct a project to completion.
- Professionalism - Avoid business or personal activities that present a conflict of interest. Display conduct favorable to oneself, the department, and the company.
SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Basic understanding of OO design and common OO patterns as well as RDBMS concepts and SQL.
- Experienced developer
- Familiar with the data model and queries for one major system
- Routinely does low-to-mid complexity work successfully
- Understanding of API design and implementation
- Patterns: Knowledge of different Software Design patterns such as Singleton, Factories, Dependency injection, Gang of Four, etc., and where/why they could be applied
- Complete software / systems trainings or certifications in at least one core area
- Demonstrates basic understanding of agile principles and processes.
- At least 18 months of experience
- Contribute to and maintain documentation
§ Write and Comment code, designs, and other documentation so that others may follow your work
- Proficiency in Agile software development processes and methodologies
- Insurance industry software experience (specifically Guidewire)
- Strong SQL skills and an understanding of ORM concepts
- Experience with MVC pattern and frameworks
- Test Driven Development experience and creating meaningful Unit tests.
- Development experience with the following technologies:
o Gosu, Groovy, Grails
o AngularJS, React
o PHP, Laravel
o Micro services (REST or other)
o Node JS or equivalent
o WebSphere MQ and/or JMS
o iOS/Android and or React Native
o DevOps (Jenkins, Docker, CICD Pipeline)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Business Informatics, or related field preferred.
Our employees are rewarded with a competitive salary, a benefit program that recognizes the diverse needs of our employees, and the security of a well-established company.
Some of our employee benefits include: *
- Long Term Disability
- Sick Leave
- Parental Leave/Major Medical Leave
- 7 1/2 Hour Work Days
- Purchased Vacation
- Flexible Schedules
- Employee Profit-Sharing Plan
- Section 125 Cafeteria Plan (Tax-Free Spending Account)
- Loans, Savings, and Investments available through Farm Bureau Finance Company
- Cancer, Accident, and Short-Term Disability insurance plans are also available
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $95,000.00 per year