Job Title: Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reports to: Product Business Manager
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Product Business Manager and coordinates with the Operations Manager. The Electro-Mechanical Engineer researches, plans, designs, develops and conducts tests on audio related materials and mechanical assemblies and/or systems.
Other responsibilities include the design of test control apparatus and equipment, evaluation of operational systems and the recommendation of design modifications to eliminate causes of malfunctions or changes in system requirements. Direct and coordinate activities of the Engineering Department which includes design, manufacturing test electronics, and failure analysis as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Concept and development of design projects including creating aspects of form, aesthetics, physical and psychological interfaces between users and products, and system compatibility where required. Generate product models, concept layouts and drawings.
- Define product prints and specifications to meet customer requirements, define validation tests and procedures, analyze test results and organized problem-solving resolution, oversee and/or carry out sample build and material orders to meet customer timing.
- Supports product development efforts through the necessary stage gates while maintaining safety, quality, and cost expectations.
- Coordinates design efforts with outside consultants, toolmakers, suppliers and fabricators, as needed.
- Oversee and/or carry out sample build and material orders to meet customer timing. Possible direct contact with customer for application, problem resolution and project team support.
- Perform all calculations and analysis as they relate to the design phase process.
- Develop mechanical test protocols according to ASTM standards and coordinate the activities required to fabricate test parts and complete mechanical testing.
- Interact with sales staff, product managers, and other functional departments to define and develop product requirements and concepts.
- Deliver effective and efficient project management, on budget and on time, from initial concept to verification stage.
- Works cross-functionally to help resolve customer concerns during testing, launch and post-release.
- Works primarily through peer relationships in multi-functional areas for design concept development, prototype and product designs.
- Evaluate and influence new and revised engineering standards and product definition operating procedures.
- Determine dimensional constraints and tolerances required for proper clearances and fits while maximizing manufacturing capabilities.
- Develop/modify and assist in generation of project plans, timelines, product specifications, manufacturing documents, test instructions, risk analysis, training, etc.
- Maintains internal drawings and documentation.
- Coordinates design efforts with sister company engineers, outside consultants, toolmakers, suppliers and fabricators, as needed.
- Contributes to cost saving projects.
- Works with production personnel to develop improvements in manufacturing. Supports the company and production personnel in their goals to improve safety, quality, delivery, and reduce costs and scrap.
Knowledge and Skill
- Engineering degree (Mechanical); minor in electric or robotic engineering is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in designing acoustical, mechanical, electrical system products.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in metal part design.
- Fluid sketching skills, a plus.
- Experience in metals (aluminum or stainless), plastics and glass manufacturing a plus.
- Working knowledge of ISO9001:2000, a plus.
- Any patent and intellectual property background, a plus.
- Experienced in product development software (3D modeling) and disciplines (Stage-Gate), project management software (Microsoft Project), a plus.
- Working knowledge of analytical and design tools such as Design of Experiments, Finite Element Analysis techniques and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, a plus.
- Understands and can interpret Transfer Functions, Logarithmic Progressions, Nomograms, Power Spectrum Measurements, Cross Correlation, 1/1 Octave, 1/3 Octave, 1/6 Octave, 1/12 Octave Band Measurements.
- Hands on experience designing components that are made with brakes, roll formers, punching, welding, etc., a plus.
- Working knowledge of CAD systems (Inventor, Solidworks, etc.) and their use in the product design process is required.
- Demonstrated track record of successful projects is required.
- Record of coordinating resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done.
- Demonstrates command of verbal and written communication skills. Experience establishing and managing relationships with channel partners, suppliers and constituents.
- General use of Microsoft Office Suit.
- Enjoys developing unique and novel solutions to problems.
- Gives and receives information in a business-like, informative, understandable, and instructive manner.
- Comfortable with making presentations; good listener as well.
- Creates strong morale and team spirit. Shares wins. Fosters open dialogue, lets people be responsible for their own work. Defines success in terms of the whole team. Creates and /or promotes a feeling of belonging.
- Understands how business works, knowledgeable in current and best manufacturing practices and brings balance, stability and awareness of how tactics work in the manufacturing environment. Prioritizes work for maximum productivity.
- Steadfastly and tactfully pushes self and others for results – is goal oriented.
- Ambitious, assertive, strong, self-directed work ethic.
- Upbeat, with ability to focus on task at hand.
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to walk long distances, stoop, bend and reach is also required.
- Ability to work well with high volume of stress.
- Requires to be on call readiness to emergency needs on a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week basis.
- Requires incumbent to work overtime when needed with little or no notice.
- Travel may be required on short notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- acoustical, mechanical, electrical system product: 5 years (Preferred)
- metal part design: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off