Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-minded construction professionals to get it done right.
As a Field/Office Engineer, you bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we build the biggest, most exciting projects.
The Kiewit Foundations Co. self performs complex geotechnical projects across North America. We deliver creative, cost-efficient solutions that are responsive to each project’s specific site conditions. We utilize value engineering and constructability reviews, and our depth of expertise to offer constructible solutions that optimize budget and schedule. We perform these operations with our fleet of specialty equipment and the management resources of one of the top builders in the country.
We are looking for hands-on, engineers excited to be both in the field and office supporting project and estimating work. We are looking for people pursuing one of the following college majors: Civil, Mining, Mechanical, & Geotechnical Engineering, and Construction Management related degrees. These Entry Level Engineers will be required to perform engineering work in connection with a wide range of underground and foundations projects that range in size, difficulty, and duration. Entry Level Engineers will be involved in the district estimating unit at various points in a career, which involves quantity takeoffs, time studies, cost estimating, participating in estimate reviews and bid close-out.
Kiewit is a company that goes where the work is, which means a career with us can take you and your family to exciting parts of North America – and maybe even beyond. Kiewit Underground conducts its operations primarily through Kiewit Infrastructure Company, a subsidiary of Kiewit Corporation. Headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, we construct both deep underground and foundation projects across the U.S. and Canada related to transportation, water/wastewater, power, mining, and telecommunications to name a few. These projects are happening in large cities and small towns, so you have a chance to experience it all!
- Field engineering, operation planning, cost control, project scheduling, quantity tracking, material procurement, contract administration, estimating and supervision of field activities
- Performing engineering tasks requiring standard techniques and solving problems of a technical nature arising during construction
- Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
- Planning and scheduling of operations, to include procedures, sketches and other necessary documents
- Investigating problems and/or reported incidents; identifying and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
- Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
- Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
- Must have received, or will receive by August 2020, at a minimum an undergraduate degree in civil engineering, mining, mechanical, geotechnical, construction management or related before starting this position
- Previous experience in underground construction or mining is preferred
- Must have a strong desire to work in the underground construction industry
- Be willing to fully participate in job assignments at the job site, district office or department to which assigned
- Must be willing to travel and relocate throughout career as we operate on a national scale, not a regional one
- Have the ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
- Strong work ethic – willing to do what it takes to get the job done
- Have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Good working knowledge and experience with both Excel and Word
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking skills necessary with the ability to plan ahead and conceptualize
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.