Paradigm Precision specializes in the manufacturing of complex fabrication and precision machined components for gas turbine engines. We serve customers around the world in commercial and military aviation, power generation, the marine industry, rotary wing and unmanned aerial vehicles.
The Engineering Manager provides expert judgment, analysis and direction to the Engineering technical team for the development and implementation of processes required for the successful / cost effective manufacture of technical products that meet all customer technical and quality requirements. The Engineering Manager provides the required oversight, input and direction to assure that manufacturing process directions, tooling concepts and designs meet or exceed all internal program goals (ease of manufacture, cost effective manufacturing and profitability) as well as all customer requirements (quality and delivery). The Engineering Manager relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals while leading and directing the efforts of the Engineering staff. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. The Engineering Manager ensures that Quality policies, practices and procedures comply to all customer contract requirements, as well as applicable industry and regulatory standards to maintain an effective Quality Management System.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Direct and monitor the technical activities of assigned Engineers.
- Coordinate and manage inspection and Quality Engineering activities to support company goals and objectives.
- Review and approve manufacturing processes as required.
- Assure that all manufacturing processes and tooling will produce a technical product which meets all customer requirements (quality and delivery) as well as internal goals (ease of manufacture and profitability).
- Provide leadership and direction to the organization ensuring compliance to industry standards such as ISO9001/AS9100, NADCAP, FAA, EASA and customer system requirements.
- Full responsibility for all new products' technical requirements/issues including concurrent engineering interface with the customer to facilitate design/process changes which aid producibility and lower product cost.
- Conduct process improvements through leading Lean/Six Sigma projects, design of experiments, Value Stream Mapping (VSM) and design review events to improve manufacturing process efficiency (continuous improvement), reduce cost, improve profitability and reduce product lead/cycle time.
- Research, develop and execute, with the team, the plans required to meet business metric cost requirements to maximize product profitability.
- Resolves highly complex technical issues and conducts research as required.
- Recommends alterations to product development and design (concurrent engineering) to improve quality of products and/or procedures for producibility.
- Provide the required direction and leadership to the team as necessary in order to create, develop and perfect manufacturing processes which are cost effective and conducive to ease of manufacture.
- Investigate and recommend machine tool and equipment needs to accomplish or improve the required manufacturing process capabilities or capacity.
- Identify related processing and manufacturing problems and identify/initiate corrective actions as required. Provide technical direction and leadership in recommending changes in design, specifications, drawings and procedures that will eliminate manufacturing problems, improve producibility and productivity, or reduce scrap/rework related cost and/or lead-time.
- Ensure the timely review of NMR activity is completed.
- Provide technical support to the Program Manager to manage the customer interface required for concurrent engineering and product cost, quality and delivery communications.
- Ensure all Phase 3 and Phase 4 tasks of the NPI Process are completed and Gate 3 and Gate 4 approvals are secured as applicable for all development products.
- Visit supplier plants as required to assure that the supplier manufacturing process meets or exceeds all company and customer requirements (delivery and quality). Assure that the supplier manufacturing process will produce technical product in the required quantity and in accordance with the product delivery schedule.
- Perform duties/responsibilities related to this position as assigned by the Director.
- Oversee and lead product/key characteristic audits as required by our customer.
- Assist in shop floor personnel training as applicable and deemed necessary.
- Develop market awareness and promote company visibility efforts.
- Evaluate, train, coach and when necessary, discipline employees.
- Must support all EH & S (Environmental, Health & Safety) requirements within the facility and improve ergonomics of associated tooling relative to each process.
- Support the Program Managers through the negotiations, review and approval of product contracts.
- Develop and foster a team environment.
- Lead investigations relating to customer quality concerns and product escapes.
- Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology within the company core processes
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
The job has supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Thorough knowledge of Quality Systems development, implementation and management.
- Working knowledge of Non-Destructive Testing, Mechanical Testing and Special Process Control techniques.
- Knowledgeable about Calibration System and Supplier System control techniques.
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate, develop, coach and drive associates to meet required goals and targets.
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills and able to interact and work with staff at all levels including the internal and external customer.
- Strong computer skills that include a working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access).
- Solid analytical, decision making skills with the ability to quickly and effectively evaluate information in a timely basis.
- Strong desire for providing excellent customer satisfaction for the continuous improvement of product quality and delivery.
- Must be fully knowledgeable with ANSI 14.5Y geometrical tolerancing – a plus but not necessary
- Experience with MRB activities Experience with certifications in the aerospace and/ or automotive industry.
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Familiar with Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, 6S and Continuous Improvement processes.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or a related technical field. Minimum ten years experience in related industry with at least 5 years at a manager level. Must have proficient computer skills in various design programs and Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, 6 sigma, complex technical product knowledge. Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Possess the ability to work well with people in a team environment.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, situation assessment and conflict resolution are required.
- Must have sound judgment to deal with particular situations, decide upon a course of action and implement swift resolution for closure.
- Ability to oversee several simultaneous projects with the proper delegating skills and the precise amount of involvement without interference, allowing the specifically designated personnel to perform their tasks.
- Exceptional motivation, leadership, and team building skills required.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before employees in the organization
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
Acknowledgements The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor
Paradigm Precision is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, medical condition, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other basis protected by law.