We value well-tested, reusable designs and expect our engineers to be as good of practitioners as they are leaders and teachers.
About This Role
Very is a remote-first company, meaning we don’t have a physical office, and you can work from anywhere in the continental United States. Your home, a co-working space, on the road, you name it. If you feel like moving, you don’t have to change jobs.
As a Senior Embedded Electrical Engineer, you will work with our Hardware Practice Lead to define our process for delivering high value embedded systems projects to our clients. Our goal is to break through the stereotype of “hardware is hard”, and build embedded systems at a rapid and predictable pace (we’re already making headway thanks to an awesome framework called Nerves). An ideal candidate will display technical expertise in hardware design for embedded systems including schematic capture and PCB layout. In addition, they should be prepared to work with manufacturers and PCB design subcontractors as necessary. Deep expertise in firmware development is a plus.
What You’ll Be Working On
Very is first and foremost a software consultancy. We tackle hard problems for clients who need a targeted, senior team to come in and provide specific solutions. Our customer base is expanding into the IoT space, and we are gaining traction here due to our ability to develop hardware and software rapidly in parallel. Our projects in this domain have ranged from data acquisition and alerting for industrial power systems to automated self-pour beer taps.
Within these systems you will potentially be responsible for:
- Hardware design
- Supporting firmware design efforts (possibly writing some yourself depending on your skills and interests)
- Interfacing with the client’s preferred hardware designers
- Interfacing with manufacturers and suppliers on behalf of the client
You’ll spend 80% of your time working on a product or platform for one of our clients, and the other 20% of your week (Friday) will be spent contributing to our open source projects, internal products, learning, teaching, and participating in internal operations of all flavors.
Our Current Tooling
Our IoT contracts typically involve a full service hardware plus software solution, or firmware and web development while engaging with a third party for hardware design. In the context of these engagements, our tooling is as follows:
- Embedded C/C++, leveraging the Arduino framework where possible
- PlatformIO for embedded C/C++ projects
- Python for scripting and build automation.
- Nerves for embedded Linux
- AWS IoT for MQTT pubsub for large scale deployments
- Elixir/Phoenix for ultra-low latency web sockets and generic web backends.
Other software tools we leverage throughout various projects include:
- React & React Native
- Swift & Objective C
- Ruby on Rails
- Serverless Framework
As we are expecting you to be the primary source of hardware expertise, you don't need to be an expert in these tools, but familiarity is a plus. Our build teams operate with a very high degree of collaboration, so you will definitely have run-ins with these stacks throughout your time here.
How You’ll Be Compensated
Don't have your own lab equipment? Don't worry! Very is willing to help get you up and running.
We believe in a transparent, fair compensation structure and have developed our own open salary formula. Depending on your skill and experience, you can expect your base compensation to be somewhere between $75,000 and $105,000 upon joining the company. We also offer performance bonuses, a generous maternity/paternity leave policy, 401K matching, and numerous other employee benefits including reimbursement for home office equipment and gym memberships.