Pavlov Media is currently seeking a Backbone NOC Technician 2 to join our team!
We’ve been building great networks since 1990. In those days, it was our founder and CEO, Mark Scifres, crawling through attics to wirehouses, apartments, dorms, and Greek houses. Now we’re not just wiring buildings—we’re constantly expanding on a national fiber-optic backbone that connects hundreds of MDU communities in more than 40 states. Pavlov Media specializes in private networks designed, constructed, and operated by a team of dedicated professionals from the multifamily real estate industry. Pavlov Media adds value to properties and businesses by delivering products that enhance customer satisfaction and protect assets. We’ve built a robust network and we’re continuously finding new ways to bring our users Simply Exceptional Connections Nationwide.
The Backbone NOC 2 is responsible for the engineering, operations, and maintenance of the Pavlov Media national network. You’ll be involved with the planning, installation, and management of the hardware and backbone engineering as well as the day to day operations of the network. This is the opportunity to be part of a growing lean team at the forefront of delivering the latest content to the edge.
Functional areas of this position include, but are not limited to:
Design and operations of the national backbone including data centers and interconnects
Coordination with our peering, IX, and CDN partners.
Responding to support and maintenance of the national network
Motivating and inspiring other employees to foster the ownership and growth of the network
The Backbone NOC Engineer works with the other Backbone staff, as well as the Backbone Operations Director and the VP of Backbone Architecture. Such responsibilities include mentoring, supporting the goals of the team members and the company. This is an opportunity to be part of the team that is building a high-performance network dedicated to bringing content as close as possible to eyeballs.
This position has advancement opportunities available to highly motivated individuals.
- Engineer the growth and evolution of the network
- Proactively monitor the backbone network and address issues that arise
- Troubleshoot network outages and repair or redesign as needed
- Review processes and recommend changes to improve overall effectiveness/efficiencies
- Assist with maintenance of training materials and process-related information for the Backbone Support team
- Motivate others and lead by example in a team environment.
- Participate in training, networking, and peering opportunities such as Nanog
- Coach, share information and provide feedback on a consistent basis
- 10+ years of experience working in large-scale network engineering environments
- Expert knowledge of BGP, OSPF, and VPN’s
- Strong understanding of anycast routing
- Fluent with Cisco IOS
- Fluent with Arista EOS
- Familiarity with Open Source NOS’s: Cumulus, Mellanox Onyx, BIRD
- CCXX is great but we’d prefer you have substantial hands-on experience
- Experience writing network configuration and design documentation
- Experience working on high traffic networks
- Experience working on automation frameworks
- Proven network debugging and problem-solving skills
- Experience with optical transport technologies such as CWDM/DWDM/PONs
- Ability to prioritize when faced with high-pressure scenarios
- Ability to work under deadlines and shift priorities as required to meet business requirements
- High-level verbal and written communication skills: professional communication, demeanor, and appearance
- Reliable and responsible team player
- Deep understanding of current and future network standards
Indeed Hire and Pavlov Media are working together to find the best candidate for this job.
By applying, you agree to be contacted by our agent, Indeed Hire, and receive updates via text and phone about your application.
Job Type: Full-time
- large-scale network engineering environments: 10 years (Preferred)
- Cisco IOS: 1 year (Required)
- BGP, OSPF, and VPN: 1 year (Required)
- Arista EOS: 1 year (Required)
- Writing skills: 1 year (Preferred)
- Backbone.js: 1 year (Preferred)
- Computer networking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Champaign, IL: Between 31 and 40 miles (Preferred)