- Establish a construction layoutand grade for all utilities based on the stake layout provided by the Surveyor
- Take part in site layout withsurveyor, offset and transfer layout information to offset stakes and/orprotect layout, and understand layout provided.
- Clearly communicate with allmembers of the crew to ensure that all utilities are installed in their correctlocation.
- Accurately record all as-builtinformation into the field book, and transfer the information onto the projectrecord drawings.
- Achieve the correct grade bydirecting Equipment Operators to adjust grade by moving earth, gravel and othermaterial.
- Measure distances fromreference points to locate the boundaries of the construction site.
- Verify curvature of gradedsurface using both manual and laser methods.
- Report and conflictinginformation on drawings to Foreman immediately.
- Responsible for equipmentchecks and verifying the precision of a device prior to using it.
- Reporting anydefective equipment to the supervisor for repair.
- Assist Foreman or perform asActing Foreman in his or her absence.
- Assist crew with Labourerduties when required.
- Be willing and able to learngeneral construction practices involving road construction.
- Have an understanding of theissues involving ground disturbance and implement safe work procedures whileadhering to safety policies and procedures in accordance with WorkSafeBCregulations and Conwest’s standards.
- Other duties as assigned by theForeman.
- Aminimum of 3 years’ experience in civil construction including earthworks andunderground utilities would be an asset.
- Ability to use survey instruments (i.e.: rotary laser, transit, dual-plane) toestablish correct line and grade for earthworks, underground utilities, androadworks
- Experience using total stations and GPS equipmentwould be an asset.
- Ability to thoroughly read, understand, andinterpret civil construction plans and drawings as well as architectural,structural, landscape and mechanical drawings for building excavation work.
- The ability to read geotechnical drawings would also be essential if working inbulk excavation division.
- Ability to identify any design conflicts that mayarise and report to the site supervisor.
- Mathematically inclined to accurately calculate orextrapolate finished elevations.
- Ability to work with the engineer and the surveyorto solve problems.
- Ability to achieve correct grade by directingequipment operators to adjust grade by moving earth, gravel, and othermaterials.
- Ability to measure distances from reference pointsor offsets to accurately install utilities.
- Ability to verify curvature of the graded surface areausing a hand level.
- Ability to work under pressure in some situations.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements andapplicable safety policies.
- Mustbe willing to become a member of CLAC.
- Musthave a valid Class 5 driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract.
If you’re interested in a career with Conwest Contracting Ltd., please send your cover letter and resume to the email provided, including thename of the position you’re applying for on the subject line.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Civil Construction: 3 years (Preferred)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)